question

carl avatar image
carl asked

VRM consumption impossibly high

Boat, 24V system, Quattro, Cerbo GX, Lynx Shunt, 3 x MPPT, Taico rack LiFePO4 1200 Ah.

A couple of times per day I get this spike of an impossible consuption value, this happens when plugged in to shore power, but also when not plugged in to shore power, it can happen @ various battery SoC as well. TheTaico battery is connecter to Cerbo via VE.bms and the shunt through VE.Can.

Both show up as devices and all values and settings appears correct, no error messages in Cerbo or in battery BMS.

Anybody have any idea how to fix this?img-1042.png

VRMvrm advancedvrm logging
img-1042.png (232.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Not a lot to go on. But it might be a very heavy load kicking in, like an air conditioner, winch, trolling motor, washing machine. Short high pulses, if caught by the monitoring, would cause this. If not caught, they tend to average out.

So the question is what consumers are on the system and can you tie it in to one or more starting?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

carl avatar image carl commented ·
Nope, no loads available to cause this, biggest load that would switch on and off is a standard refrigerator.
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Carl,

This isn't a bug with VRM, it originates earlier in the system than that.

Before I can begin to look any deeper, please confirm to me the firmware versions of all the connected devices, and make sure you aren't running any betas or out of date firmwares.

Once that is confirmed, and we have an instance of the bug occurring with those latest current release firmware versions, then we can look a bit more closely.

3 comments
2 |3000

carl avatar image carl commented ·
Hi, all devices has the absolute last available update, no special mods of any kind. I also don’t think it’s a VRM bug, something tricks the system into believing this. Last week it has calmed down, but, still makes crazy projections for power consumption.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ carl commented ·
Consumption forecasts are not overly accurate, it is a work in progress and can get itself in a knot.
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Carl,

The only VRM account that I could find that is linked to your community account (with the same email) is still running a beta (release candidate) version of VenusOS 3.30~13. The latest release version of VenusOS is 3.22

The Multi is running an old version of VE.Bus firmware 506, the latest is 510

The Lynx Shunt is running 1.08, the latest version is 1.10

And from there I stopped looking, there might be more either out of date, or beta versions running.

Once you have updated the firmware to the latest release versions, please list the devices you have, and the firmware version they are running and only then can we look further into it.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources