question

d-graves avatar image
d-graves asked

How easy is EasySolar?

Hi
I am about to order the EasySolar-II 48/5000/70-50 MPPT 250/100 GX for an off-grid only system. I have puchased 10 295W Canadian Solar panels that I plan on connecting 5s2p. Just checking about the extras i should also order:
20A twin pole circuit breaker for solar before it gets to EasySolar unit? (cannot find these in the victron shop though?) [2x SC current of 9.75 is 19.5A]
200A circuit breaker for cable between battery and EasySolar unit? (cannot find these in the shop either?)
If I get a generator in the future - is this a simple direct wiring from a normal 3 pin house plug cable and the ends screwed into the EasySolar unit?
AC out from EasySolar is going to wire straight into my tiny house existing caravan plug lead?
I want to get all the bits before electrician comes - is it really this simple? (I don't need the sensor to measure current if i am only off-grid, correct?)
Have I missed anything? on the correct track?

Thanks

EasySolar All-in-Oneoffgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

Per Community Guidelines system design is best left to your electrician and/or distributor. They should know what you need, don't need, or will need for future plans.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

d-graves avatar image d-graves commented ·
The nz distributor hasn't replied to my request for this info... sad... Not sure if any electricians near me know this stuff very well... pretty rural... hence my post here...
0 Likes 0 ·
onrbikes avatar image
onrbikes answered ·

I have a 24/3000/70 , so pretty much the same.

I also have a 300A fuse between easy solar and battery. Same as your circuit breaker.

A victron smart shunt is a good idea and am about to instal one myself. It gives a better state of charge as opposed to relying on voltage. It has bluetooth for you to communicate via smart phone. Download the victron app.

I have a place to plug gennie in if I run out if power. It's outside the power room. A male plug outside but have never used it. Not sure if you want gennie to charge your batteries or for backup power.

Have attached a pic.

My electrician hooked this up and took him 15minutes.20240222-130042.jpg

20240222-130042.jpg (795.5 KiB)
7 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Not the same. He has the newer https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/easysolar-ii-gx There should be some protection between the ACIN and generator in his case and special care taken with earthing.

0 Likes 0 ·
d-graves avatar image d-graves ejrossouw commented ·
A circuit breaker? How does one work out the sizing of this protection?

Can you elaborate on the earthing care you refer to please? Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw d-graves commented ·

I will always recommend dual pole isolation and protection on the input of the Easysolar, sized to protect the circuit between the generator and Easysolar, not exceeding your Easysolar passthru rating. Were a fault current to occur, care has to be taken to ensure it has a path to earth via e.g. an earth rod or system components may potentialy become "hot" and dangerous.

1 Like 1 ·
d-graves avatar image d-graves commented ·
Thanks for the photo - anyone have the 48v model photo to share please...?
0 Likes 0 ·
d-graves avatar image d-graves ejrossouw commented ·
yeah, those ones don't show what's inside and circuit breakers installed, etc - anyone got one to share please? thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw d-graves commented ·

The Easysolar-II GX does not have breakers like in the picture of the model onrbikes posted. https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/easysolar#pd-nav-image

2 Likes 2 ·
onrbikes avatar image
onrbikes answered ·

You'll also need longer interface cable from any devices like the smart shunt or Bluetooth dongle.

The smart cable is only 500mm long, barely enough to come out of the easysolar.

Victron sell overpriced extensions.

Alie and Ebay sell the same.

They're a JST PH2.0 4 PIN.

2.0 stands for 2mm pin to pin.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Between panels and EasySolar, look for a dual pole solar isolator.

Battery(ies) to EasySolar use good quality switches, like the Victron ones. Don't use cheap Chinese ones. Suggest you use fuse(s), not circuit breaker here. Easy way is to get a Lynx distributor. Takes maxi fuses. Make sure they have the right voltage rating, you need about 75V or higher (can't remember the exact value).

You'll need an internet connection for VRM. WiFi is good.

Can be interesting to get generators to work. There's a Victron document you can find. Often necessary to connect Earth and neutral in the generator or cable. Make sure AC input limit is set according to generator max continuous rating or lower.

The EasySolar you're using is very heavy. Make sure you have a strong wall ;-)

2 |3000