question

rkapsi avatar image
rkapsi asked

Cerbo's BMS-Can port limiting factors?

I have BMS that uses the "CAN-bus BMS (500 kbit/s)" profile. It works with the Cerbo GX if I connect it to the BMS-Can port on the Mk1 model and either port on the Mk2 model as long as I configure the CAN-bus profile to be "CAN-bus BMS (500 kbit/s)". The BMS' Bitrate is fixed and cannot be changed.

On the other side I have a Wakespeed with the option to run it at 250 kbit/s or 500 kbit/s and it is my understanding that it could communicate with the BMS directly. Of course I'd like to have nice integration between the BMS, Wakespeed and Cerbo but ideally the Cerbo should remain optional.

What is it about the Cerbo's "CAN-bus BMS (500 kbit/s)" profile that may prevent me from connecting the Wakespeed to it? I presume this profile is heavily specialized and wouldn't cope well with non-BMS messages?

cerbo gxBMSVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

The BMs is a data broadcaster, both the Cerbo and the wakespeed are listeners to the bms data, they don't send any data to the BMS. So if the Wakespeed is set to 500kbps, then it will also receive the BMS data. Non bms type messages will be filtered out and ignored, if any such messages exist.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.