question

mattyroo avatar image
mattyroo asked

Wakespeed receive battery data from Cerbo/BMV

We have a catamaran that we are fitting 2 x WS500s to, as well as a Cerbo. A shunt and BMV are already installed. The shunt/BMV will be connected to the Cerbo via VE Direct and the WS500's will be connected via VE CAN.

As we would like to use the shunt connection on the WS500's to monitor alternator output, will battery data, such as temp, voltage and current be passed to the W500s via the VE Can network? Or do we need to connect one of the WS500s to the shunt/battery bank?

cerbo gxBMV Battery MonitorVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

If you have WS500 firmware version 2.5.1 you can connect the WS500 to the Cerbo GX via VE Can (note cross over cable required) and you should be able to tell it to get battery current and voltage from the shunt. See the WS500 communication and configuration guide page 69, Victron shunt is option 18 for the Enable_alt_can setting. You could also use the Nmea_rat option and get the Cerbo to output NMEA2000. I have my WS500 ready to install but can not confirm this works exactly as advertised but hoping it is the case.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mattyroo avatar image mattyroo commented ·
Thanks @pwfarnell. If the battery data is coming over the CANBUS, do the battery cales, red with yellow trace and lack with yellow trace, still need to be connected?
0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell mattyroo commented ·

No they do not, on my install I will add a shunt to the alternator output and use the sense wires on that and set the WS500 options for shunt at alternator. I have bought a basic Victron shunt without any electronics.

https://energymonkey.co.uk/product/victron-shunt-500a-50mv/

0 Likes 0 ·