question

Ricardo Chavarria avatar image
Ricardo Chavarria asked

Energy Meter for a Split-Phase, 125A Service

Hello,

I got my ESS system installed mid last year and the Grid-Parallel PV system installed this past December. ESS equipment is a Multiplus 48V/300VA/35A with a BYD Battery and a CerboGX. PV system is a Fronius Primo 10k inverter with 8k solar array.

screenshot-2024-01-18-at-113914-am.pngThis is how my system looks, but I'm missing the energy meter.

img-4388.jpeg

img-4387.jpeg

I'm facing an issue where GX is not counting the generated energy or displaying the topology properly, I'm assuming because I'm missing an Energy Meter. I bought a Victron VM-3P75CT, but to my surprise, the clamps are too small to fit over my 14mm phase wires.

screenshot-2024-01-18-at-114814-am.pngVictron Portal display of my system topology, which is wrong as my PV inverter is actually in parallel with the grid.

img-4397.jpegMain panel on the right with 14mm split-phase wires (large black wires, 120V per phase). Panel on the left is for critical loads, managed by the Multiplus/ESS.

I want to be able to properly count my energy consumption, which is why I'm asking for help in figuring out what meter I should use. From my research, I believe the Victron/Carlo Gavazzi ET340 is the right choice, but I'm afraid the phase wires won't fit into the meter as they're 14mm (13.75mm to be exact) in diameter, and they seem VERY large for any of the Energy Meters I've seen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm located in Panama. Our grid is similar to the US grid where we have two-phase, 120V per phase.

ESSEnergy MeterFroniusgrid parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Ricardo Chavarria avatar image
Ricardo Chavarria answered ·

Adding this diagram from the ET340 manual (specifically ET340-DINAV23XS1X), which is how I plan to install it if the cable inputs can support my 14mm cable diameter:

img-4349f6dd4c7e-1.jpeg

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

prein avatar image
prein answered ·

first: configure the PV inverter to be connected to AC-In instead of AC-out:

in your GX device, select the inverter and set it to AC-in in the settings.

1 comment
2 |3000

Ricardo Chavarria avatar image Ricardo Chavarria commented ·

Thanks, thats how I have it setup, but it's not showing up properly. If I change the phase to be Split Phase, it will disappear from Victron Portal.

1705702432515.png

My main problem is on the physical side, with the missing energy meter and the clamps that won't fit over my phase wires.

0 Likes 0 ·
1705702432515.png (95.2 KiB)
prein avatar image
prein answered ·

Probably you can use another current sensor. From this specsheet, you should be able to choose the c/ct1216 as well. But the meter is for max 80A loads. So make sure to first contact victron about this..

https://nl.mouser.com/datasheet/2/447/KEM_SE0204_C_CT-3316988.pdf

1 comment
2 |3000

Ricardo Chavarria avatar image Ricardo Chavarria commented ·
Let's see what Victron says about this. Their instructions mention nothing about other CTs, other than saying that if they require replacement, they need to be recalibrated to the Energy Meter, which is a bummer if so...

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·