question

patrick-boomer avatar image
patrick-boomer asked

Is Victron DC-DC Charger able to handle non-Victron Lithium batteries with integrated BMS

Hello All,

The internal BMS of a (non-Victron) Lithium battery can eventually switch OFF the input of the battery when it decides the battery is charged enough or too hot or whatever. My Luthium batteries do not feature any output such as "Charge authorized" that could be used to stop the charge.

I fear the sudden opening of the load circuit could harm the output electronic components of a Victron Tr 12/12 30A (or other model).

I have already read some answers saying "All Victron BMS' are only designed to be used with the Victron Smart Lithium batteries." However, I guess that Victron did not design ALL its products to handle ONLY Victron batteries.

My question : Is the Victron DC-DC 12-12 charger able to handle event such as the battery BMS opening its input without prior notice ?

Regards

Lithium BatteryBMSvictron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Yes, the Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC chargers are designed to function well with all common-nominal-voltage batteries, including LFP batteries with built-in BMS.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?