question

seamusthedog avatar image
seamusthedog asked

BMS Battery Type

Can any of the Victron BMS's be used with a generic LifePO4 Battery Pack (ex: 4x EVE 280Ah LifePO4 Batteries with 300A JBD BMS? Or do I have to use Victron Brand proprietary batteries with the Victron BMS's? I can build a battery band for less than 1/4 the cost of Victron's offering, sadly I just can't afford $25K worth of Victron Batteries when I can build the same spec battery for under $6000. Thank you - Keith Clarke

battery chargingLithium BatteryBMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

No, Victron BMSs are for use only with Victron's Lithium Battery Smart line.

That said, a Victron Smart 12.8v/330Ah battery only costs about $1650 in the US now, so getting into the ecosystem isn't nearly the investment that it used to be a few years ago.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seamusthedog avatar image seamusthedog commented ·
Thanks Justin, that battery is $3025CAD + taxes here in our part of the world, to build a pack with equivalent generic EVE LF280K (315AH) cells would be about $800CAD. I know it's not as nice as the Victron System but the difference in cost is just too much to ignore, especially when you wan to build a system to run the entire house. I wish companies like Victron would understand the Canadian Market. I'm in wholesale trade and I see it all the time with so many USA Based companies, with operations here. Technically I could drive to Washington State and buy the same battery for half the cost, except there a cost to doing that as well. Anyway, thanks for you input.
0 Likes 0 ·