question

patrick-boomer avatar image
patrick-boomer asked

Compatibility between Smart BMS CL 12/100 and Lithium batteries with integrated BMS

Hello All,

Basic question : Is it possible to use the Victron Smart BMS CL 12/100 with Lithium batteries that have their own BMS (each battery of the bank has an integrated self-protection BMS) ?

The internal BMS of the batteries can switch OFF the input of the battery when the BMS decides it is charged enough or too hot or whatever. This event does not prevent the battery to be used by consumers (its a diode function that is set up by the BMS without prior notice), and the BMS will reopen the input as soon as the battery level has returned to a lower charge.

I fear this function could interfere with the Victron logic, and even harm its output electronic components when the battery BMS suddenly switches off while the Victron is in the process of charging the batteries under high current.

Regards

Patrick

Lithium BatteryBMSvictron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

All Victron BMS' are only designed to be used with the Victron Smart Lithium batteries.
It's not intended that you use that BMS with other batteries.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

patrick-boomer avatar image patrick-boomer commented ·
Thank you for your answer. I understand that Vitron BMS could conflict with others. Therefore the question might become : what Victron product could I use to charge a non-Victron Lithium battery from a alternator/AGM motor battery ?
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?