question

user33 avatar image
user33 asked

IP22 smart charger plugged to generator

Hello, I have a 1.8kW max inventer generator and a lifepo4 12V 100Ah battery. The generator can generate a maximum of 7.82A. Can I plug the 30A victron IP22 smart charger to it? I haven't found the maximum input current nor the wattage of the charger. Thanks in advance

chargerGeneratorcurrent limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Ohm's Law can be used to tell you everything you need to know - obviously the wattage draw of the charger will depend on the current it's pushing to the battery and at what voltage, but 30A x 14.4vDC = 432w, x let's say 1.10 to account for losses so call it 476w, which divided by 230vAC (you didn't specify what AC voltage you're running but, again, using Ohm's Law I can figure that out) is 2.06A draw on the AC side.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

user33 avatar image
user33 answered ·

Thanks for the response but my question is about the initial maximum input current of the charger when the device starts up. Every machine with some kind of engine (like the fan of the charger) draws an initial peak current bigger than the steady current.. and this is critical to know when using a generator. I saw a 40A charger that has a maximum current of 9A and was too much for my generator. I would like to know the maximum AC input current that the 30A IP22 smart charge draws at 230VAC.. or the maximum wattage of it

5 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

The fan doesn't start up when the charger does, it only runs if the charger needs to cool itself off... and the fan is rated at 0.10A at 12vDC, so 1.2 watts or 0.005A at 230vAC when it's running full-bore. The maximum current the charger will draw, as mentioned, depends on the charge current and voltage, since obviously the charger will pull more current when charging 30A at 15vDC than it would charging 30A at 13.8vDC, etc.

You can run the math yourself based on your known factors such as desired charge rate, charge voltage, and etc to establish what the charger would draw in your particular use-case, but if the startup current of the fan is your concern, I would put that out of your mind.img-20240104-101538.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

I think what he wants to know is the inrush current of the charger in the moment you plug it in.

I don't think you will find that anywhere.

But I guess with the capacitors inside it is 3-5 times the normal current. -> 6-10A

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Ah, so not motor startup but capacitor inrush, okay, so the IP22 12/30 (at least in the US) has two 820µF primary capacitors, so assuming that holds true on the 230v versions, 1640µF at 230v would be 43.38J to charge, or (assuming an average of 250ms inrush which given their size is probably an overstatement) 169w using P(W) = E(J) / t(s) which at 230v would only be about 0.75A... obviously a bit of wiggle room there, but nothing to be overly concerned about I think.

1 Like 1 ·
user33 avatar image user33 Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you for your answer Justin. Anyone from Victron can confirm this current value?

0 Likes 0 ·
user33 avatar image user33 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Thank you Matthias, you're right.. I want to know the inrush current of the charger (didn't know its name). I wish somebody from Victron can tell me this.. its crucial to know if my generator can handle it
0 Likes 0 ·
Nev avatar image
Nev answered ·

Yes you can.

Many others including myself have done just that multiple times.

Although our 1kW rated generator is now in storage and no longer necessary our 30/15A Victron IP22 battery charger started and charged our 4 cell 300Ah LiFePO4 battery with ease.

Your 1.8kW generator will barely know its connected.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop