question

ffmg avatar image
ffmg Suspended asked

Going from v498 to v508 should I do it?

I got my new inverter installed last week and there is a firmware update for my MultiPlus-II from 498 to 508

I don't normally like to be too far behind the latest updates, (in my experience this makes updating more difficult sometimes).

But I also don't want to brick my system

I don't really understand what the instructions are after step #5 ...

At this moment the first stage is complete. Next you’ll need to open the provided file in VE.Bus System Configurator by double clicking it. The settings will automatically be converted to the new firmware version; and a popup will show in case anything needs double checking. When finished, close the Configurator, it will prompt to store the file.

As no files file is provided, (unless it will be provided in step #2?

firmware updatevrm firmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

General rule of thumb on firmware updates is unless there is a new feature available that you desire, or you are having stability issues, leave it alone.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iand avatar image iand commented ·
Does anyone know what the claimed improvements to the solar/wind priority feature are?
0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

If it's a new installation, the rule of thumb is always update to the latest available stable version upon commissioning the system. So, yes, would advise updating to 508.

If you use VictronConnect to update/program the Multi, it will make this whole process vastly easier.

2 |3000

1234enough avatar image
1234enough answered ·

As above, update to newest firmware on commissioning, then you will be used to that firmware, rather than getting used to an older version then learning again when you update.

I'm a few versions back presently, as there are no updates that would currently benefit my system.

2 |3000

digitater avatar image
digitater answered ·

I updated 2 separate installations (Multiplus II x2 units) with this jump from v498 to v508. My house, and an off-grid cabin. Both updates worked fine except for the fact my Cerbo GX no longer shows the charging percentage from the inverters correctly. I saved settings before the update & reflashed, but there are a couple of new settings options in v508 that my settings file didn't carry over.

The discharge percentage displays and winds down as the battery is discharged, but it never shows a charging % increase until it jumps from whatever the battery was when charging started to fully charged—weird issue & annoying.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

I've reported your annoying issue to Victron

1 Like 1 ·