question

allan-fraser avatar image
allan-fraser asked

Should I float or cycle my Lithiums?

For the next three months I am going to be living on my boat in a marina and I’d like to know whether it is best to “float” or to cycle my recently installed 2 * Victron LiFePO4 Smart 12.8v 180Ah batteries.

The rest of the config includes a Lynx Smart BMS, MultiPlus (1600w inverter 70A charger) and 860w of solar distributed through 3 SmartSolar 100/30s.

There’s insufficient sun to fully charge the batteries each day so I have the option of letting the batteries drain down to around 15% over 2 to 3 days before bring them back up to 100% using the MultiPlus - or simply leaving the MultiPlus on all of the time in which case the BMS maintains things at 13.46v and 99.8%.

As you can see from the attached screenshot, midnight to 6am, the batteries are being given a short burst every 45 minutes to compensate for the fridge and freezer draw.

Daily consumption is 120-140Ah from the fridge and freezer, charging and running personal devices, lighting, running the diesel heater and an electric kettle.

Which option is best if I want to maximise the life of the batteries - or doesn’t it matter in this situation?

screenshot-2023-12-11-at-134252.jpg

Lithium Batteryfloatlynx bms
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
allan-fraser answered ·

Just a reminder that this one hasn’t been answered yet. I had been expecting arguments in favour of both approaches but, so far, no one has ventured an opinion.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hominidae avatar image
hominidae answered ·

LifePo4 Batteries are best used between 20-80% SoC window.

No need to recharge them fully with every "cycle"..however every once in while (once per wwek or even month), you should charge them to 100% in order be balanced and BMS (re-)learning the full state.

my 2 cents.

2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

The manual, page 39, covers it very much. Lithium batteries typically don't benefit from float and neither require full charge cycles like LA. Think of mobile phones. The cell balancing is important.

2 |3000

cpt-pat avatar image
cpt-pat answered ·

"Float" is a lead-acid battery term. Lead-acid batteries need continual charge current because of their high self-discharge rate and their vulnerability to sulfation damage when not kept fully charged. For LiFePO4 (LFP) batteries, I prefer the term "SOC floor" (though none of the chargers use that term). And the only reason to keep LFP batteries on a charger is to get some backup power utility from them if shore power fails.

When on shore power, I keep my 12.8 volt nominal LFP batteries at a terminal voltage of 13.15 volts, which equates to about a 50% SOC floor. Calendar aging is reduced at this lower SOC, I still have half capacity during a power outage, and less waiting time to recharge the batteries before getting underway. It's a compromise, like everything else in engineering.

I do not recommend setting a SOC floor at nearly 100% SOC because calendar aging is accelerated at that SOC. But if you feel you may need 100% capacity during a prolonged and probable loss of shore power, then I understand why you would accept the compromise of calendar life versus utility.

There is an excellent discussion on SOC versus calendar life here: https://nordkyndesign.com/practical-characteristics-of-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery-cells/ under the section titled: "Impact of State of Charge and Temperature on Capacity and Cell Life."

Daily cycling of your LFP battery with a solar charging source will subtract from the battery cycle-life, but the effect is so small in proportion to the LFP cycle-life expectancy that I wouldn't worry about it. Just be careful not to overcharge the battery. I have my MPPT set to 13.8 volts with a tail current cutoff of 0.014C (1.4 amps for a 100 AH battery). It is CIRITCAL to set a tail current cutoff. You cannot detect 100% SOC of LFP batteries using terminal voltage alone while charging. Any charge voltage at or above 13.5 volts is capable of overcharging a 4-cell-in-series (4S) LFP battery. Here is a discussion on that issue: https://nordkyndesign.com/charging-marine-lithium-battery-banks/.

I cringe every time I see YouTubers charge their LFP batteries until the BMS cuts off charging. If you do that for every charge cycle, you'll end up with bloated (gassy) cells and premature battery failure. The BMS cell overvoltage charge cutoff is an emergency protective function intended to prevent abusive destruction, but it's abusive nonetheless and not something to depend on for every charge cycle. The cumulative effect will be a drastically reduced cycle life.

3 comments
2 |3000

allan-fraser avatar image allan-fraser commented ·

I’d like to know how you keep your terminal voltage of 13.15 volts. I’ve read through the Lynx BMS manual and can find no reference to terminal voltage. There is a Charge Voltage Limit (CVL) but only for DVCC compatible devices (such as my SmartSolars but not my MultiPlus?) however it doesn’t seem to be user configurable.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ allan-fraser commented ·

@Allan Fraser it doesn’t seem to be user configurable. This stops ppl from changing settings that might lead to battery damage or death.

There is a Charge Voltage Limit (CVL) but only for DVCC compatible devices (such as my SmartSolars but not my MultiPlus? Have a read of the DVCC section of the manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
allan-fraser avatar image allan-fraser klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
I haven't but I will, thank you. This kit is all new to me and in my mind, until now at least, anything to do with managing the batteries is done by the BMS and the Cerbo is just a monitoring and display device (ie passive).
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Allan Fraser

With lithium it is use or loose it.

Use the bank in the operating voltage range and temperature. Most lithium's have an energy life cycle as well (energy in and consumed).

Calendar aging also becomes a thing anyway so even on 'float' they are consumed. There is also a thing with lithium s keeping them at one voltage causes dendrite formation. (So best to use them)

2 |3000

allan-fraser answered ·

Thanks very much everyone. Very consistent so particularly helpful.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

LED indications, warnings, alarm and error codes

Lynx Smart BMS product page

Lynx Smart BMS online manual