question

amajor avatar image
amajor asked

Float voltage LiFePo4 battery

Hello,

I have a LiFePo4 12V battery and a Victron smartsolar MPPT 100/50 regulator.

battery présents recommends 14.6V. However default setting of LiFePo4 is at 14.2V for absorption voltage and 13.5V for float voltage. Should I change both absorption and float voltage to 14.6V? Appreciate in advance your help. Friendly regards

Adrien

MPPT ControllersLithium Batteryfloat
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @amajor,

you should use recommended settings from your battery manufacturer. But please check again with the data sheet of your battery. 14.6V as float voltage is way too high.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

amajor avatar image amajor commented ·

Hello,

Thanks for the response

The seller of the battery tells me absorption voltage is irrelevant for a LiFePo4 battery. Hence how can I reflect the same in the Victron regulator? Pls see attached the technical sheet of the battery

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@amajor,

well. There are no definitions about the wording for the charge states. He may be correct in saying that absorption voltage does not matter, but at the same time the data sheet indicates that there is in fact a absorption voltage. You'll find that as Charge voltage or Bulk voltage. Both mean the same. So set absorption voltage to 14.6V (+/- 0.2V - thus even 14.4V will do the job) and I suggest using 13.5V as float voltage. And then hope that the integrated BMS will do it's job.

1 comment
2 |3000

amajor avatar image amajor commented ·

Thanks for the details and apologies, I meant to say the seller told me float voltage was irrelevant but I will indeed set as you have recommended to 13.5V. I have tried to put it at 14.6V but as you rightfully pointed out the BSM of the battery kept it at 13.5V

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual