question

conor-andturbos avatar image
conor-andturbos asked

Cerbo GX vs smartsolar mppt

hi, I've changed battery types from Pylontech 2000c units to powerplus lithium and now my smartsolar charger says its in external control mode, both solar and battery voltages show on the cerbo screen but it will not start charging, does anyone know the solution to make it start up again?

cerbo gxMPPT SmartSolarPylontechPowerPlus
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·

Typically Pylontech interfaces with the Cerbo and DVCC enables the Pylontech BMS to control the system. In this case, it is normal for the MPPT to indicate external control, so I'm a little surprised to see you say that "External Control" is a new thing for you when it should have been the case with the Pylontech.

If the batteries are properly configured to communicate with the Cerbo, then the BMS is not instructing the MPPT to start charging. If there is no more communication between batteries and Cerbo, you need to deactivate the external control of the MPPT in settings. There should be an option in the MPPT setup to disable or turn off BMS control.

1 Like 1 ·
conor-andturbos avatar image conor-andturbos snoobler commented ·
yep this was fine with the Pylontech ones, now I've changed them to power plus batteries and I can't figure out how to remove the external control condition
0 Likes 0 ·
bradleypaton avatar image bradleypaton commented ·

The PowerPlus Lithium batteries need to be set up as Lead Acid. There is a configuration sheet on the website to help. A Victron BMV makes for more accurate SOC calculation. Have used this setup on my property for the last 12 months and works well.

0 Likes 0 ·
conor-andturbos avatar image conor-andturbos bradleypaton commented ·
ah, no, that's not a good idea, unrelated to the question too.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You may need a different Comms cable between the GX and the batteries.

But the battery supplier should give guidance.

Removing the Comms cable will disable external control. But then you must set up the MPPT correctly. And you'll need the smart shunt mentioned earlier.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

conor-andturbos avatar image conor-andturbos commented ·

Do you know what 'correctly' means? The new batteries usually have no comms, it has a smart shunt that doesn't seem to have been mentioned earlier at all?

0 Likes 0 ·