jakudo asked

Multiple MPPT - correct setting

Hi,

We have installed a 3F Victron system in my brothers house, which consist:

• 3x Multiplus II 48/3000
  • 2x SmartSolar MPPT 250/60
  • 3x Pylontech US5000
  • Cerbo GX

I'm a bit confused about the connecting 2 MPPTs in the system. I've read several topics here (most of them a bit old (2019)) and also an article about synchronized charging https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Smart_Networking/en/synchronised-charging---further-details.html

however, I'm still not sure, whether we did it correctly.

The 2 MPPTs are connect to Cerbo via VE.direct and both have the same setting and both are seen correctly in Cerbo. The Pylontech batteries are also connected to Cerbo and shows correct data.

Based on the articles and topics I've read, I'm confused about how it should be connected.

If I understood correctly, if there is a Cerbo, which manages the Pylontech BMS and also the MPPT, I don't need to do anything else. However, in the Victron article is this sentence:

"For chargers that are already connected and synchronised over VE.Can, pairing them in a VE.Smart Network is not necessary. In case they are paired, the pairing will be ignored."

since we have VE.Direct, not VE.Can, should we enable the Smart network or not? Or does the Cerbo take care of the voltage/current from the 2 MPPTs based on the date from BMS?

Thanks for any advice :)

cerbo gxMPPT SmartSolarPylontech
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@jakudo

No the Cerbo is the controlling co ordinator and network.

No need for anything else. A further point is that the smart network would not include the pylontec so no point either.

Do t get too stressed out by synchronised charging or solar production load sharing. The BMS will get the solar to produce what is needed when it is needed and by whatever source is easiest.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I would add, it is wise to configure the necessary settings in each MPPT regardless so it has something to fall back to in a crisis.

just good practice.

1 Like 1 ·
jakudo avatar image jakudo nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, that is a good idea. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
jakudo avatar image jakudo commented ·

@Alexandra great, thanks a lot for explanation. I thought that it will be this way, however, I red too many information about that so I got confused :)

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ jakudo commented ·
Yeah it can feel like you are drowning in information. The systems have some pretty amazing features.

I am still learning all the time so I can say it is quite a journey.

The Victron Pylontec page simplifies alot of things though. [Link in the resources box on this page]

1 Like 1 ·
jakudo avatar image jakudo Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Yes, exactly. Wy too many information :) Luckily, Victron have a great database of information on their website and this forum is full of really helpful topics and people who understands everything and are willing to help others :)

0 Likes 0 ·
furyjk98 avatar image
furyjk98 answered ·

Hi @jakudo

I do not own a Multiplus or a BMS-connected battery. However, from what I've seen in the community. You should try using the DVCC feature in the CerboGX, which will communicate internally sending the Voltage and Current status to all the MPPTs, which will help them to synchronize with each other for different stages.

In my setup, with an MPPT and a SmartShunt. I use DVCC, and it syncs the SmartShunt voltage to the MPPT and limits the charge that I have set to.

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
DVCC is forced on automatically with supported managed batteries like the pylon.
1 Like 1 ·
jakudo avatar image jakudo nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

@FuryJK98 @nickdb I've checked that and yes, it is enabled and it also automatically chose the Pylontech, so it should be ok.

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·