question

roger-verwaelen avatar image
roger-verwaelen asked

Is this possible? Off-grid system with generator, but kept always in inverter mode.

I would like to run an off-grid system with CAN-connected 48V battery and DVCC, but with a twist.

Instead of connecting the generator to the AC input of the Quattro/Multiplus, I would like to leave this inverters AC input free, and connect an extra Quattro/Multiplus to the generator just for charging purposes.

In this way, I would be able to avoid the system switching over to generator power (and associated lower quality signal when it comes to interference, spikes, drops, sine wave harmonics etc..)

This would also allow the generator to be of much smaller dimensions, as it would not need to be large enough to power the whole electrical installation on its own. The 'inverter-mode' Quattro I could then dimension have much higher peak power. (and I could add more still to connect in parallel, to raise the peak power higher)

This would make the system operate a bit like a Full-conversion-UPS (at least when the generator is running. Solar will obviously provide most of the power)

The generator could charge the battery slowly, and only if the Quattro in inverter mode has been taking too much power for too long and solar is not sufficient, would the battery discharge too much and would I run into issues (but not likely in my use case, as the peaks might be high, but the amount of kWh at the end of the day is rather low)

The problem I'm running into is: I cannot connect the extra 'charger' Quattro to the same Cerbo VE-Bus as the 'inverter' Quattro. The only way to get this to work properly is by connecting VE-Bus of the charger Quattro to Cerbo via MK3 USB interface, so that an extra VE-Bus gets created.

Here lies the heart of the problem: DVCC does not seem to operate over USB MK3.

The charger Quattro (connected via MK3) does not respect the maximum charge current limit set by DVCC.

Is this a software bug? Or is what I'm trying to do somehow so unique that no one has needed this before? :)

cerbo gxDVCCmk3-usb
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Roger Verwaelen

No what you are doing is not unique alo of systems are implemented systems like that to get away from bad grid voltages and have clean power.

The GX device itself is created to control only one VE bus system. So DVCC will only be able to control one VE bus system only. Not a big, a design.

If you are only bulk charging only you will not have a problem, anyway assuming your battery bank is correctly sized. Depending on the inverter chosen you have between 70 to 100A of charge from one inverter max. Which can also buy programming be throttle more.

The other way might be to look into node red control.

Running a generator for not much load is not good for it anyway. And then no point to doing it if it needs to be throttled because PV is keeping up. So you may just be worrying about nothing.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.