question

ardowolx avatar image
ardowolx asked

CAN communication error between EEL battery BMS and Multiplus II

Hello

I have a Multplus II 48/5000/70 and a EEL LiFePo4 battery with what I know a JK BMS with CAN communication. The BMS allows me to choose "Victron" as communication protocol and it should work with MPII.

But as soon as I connect the UTP cable to VE.BUS in the MPII, it switches off and gives me various error codes via LEDs (I can not connect via MK3-USB while the MPII is in error).
LEDs indicate error no 5, 11 and 14. When I switch the MPII on while the UTP cable is already connected, it gives me this disco (attached).
When the UTP cable to the BMS is disconnected, everything works fine.

I have updated both MPII and BMS firmware and as far as I know, they should be compatible with each other.

What else could I be missing? In the beginning I did not have the MPII earth connected to battery GND - could this have damaged some communication components? This is remote setting, no constant AC-IN is available.

Multiplus-IIBMSVE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@ardowolx

It is supposed to connect the BMS can port of a GX. Not directly to the ve bus.

It can connect directly to a MP2 if it is a MP2 GX (as in it has an internal GX)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

grajchend avatar image
grajchend answered ·

I have the same battery. It needs to be connected to CAN bus with a non-standard twisted wire cable. The BMS is a Seplos BMS. With a quick search containing "seplos & victron" you'll find the cable layout.

2 comments
2 |3000

ardowolx avatar image ardowolx commented ·
But I still need GX right? I still can not connect the battery to the VE.BUS of a (non-GX) Multiplus II, right?
0 Likes 0 ·
mjs500 avatar image mjs500 ardowolx commented ·

1665386384-upload-documents-775-500-cerbo-s-gx-top.png

1665386384-upload-documents-775-500-cerbo-s-gx-con.png

The two Ve-can ports are used for BMS can comms you may need to go remote console and down to settings and the to services to set your Can-bus profile i.e. speed and type

i.e. Can-bus BMS 500 Kbits

one ports is used RJ45 cable and second one is used for end line resistor (the blue rj45 plug from kit of part with your GX

1580290222-upload-documents-775-500-cerbogx-access.png

0 Likes 0 ·
gloitom avatar image
gloitom answered ·

Same Issue here!

Multiplus three phase system, I restarted the Cerbo in the remote terminal.

Now the 3 Multipluses only show this LED pattern.They are no longer displayed in Cerbo.

2 |3000