question

tcollins avatar image
tcollins asked

Quattro not charging Pylontechs (I may have fried the batteries?)

Set Up

Quattro 48/10000, (Critical ccts AC1, non critical AC2), Pylontech US3000C x5, CerboGX, Grid Meter, Octopus Go split tariff. (Solar panels in progress)quattro-1.jpg

I am currently refurbishing/rebuilding a 1960s house to be a fully electric eco-house with storage heaters, underfloor heating, hot water heating and cooking etc – the normal stuff, just no burning of fossil fuels. The house is not occupied at the moment but we are hoping to move in before xmas.

The inverter/charger set up illustrated has been up and running for a year now charging the batteries overnight on the cheap rate, then using the batteries to run the house during the day. (Note: plan is to add more batteries as per the manual recommendations (7 total) before we move in.)

We have very recently purchased an EV and appropriate charger (Zappi, 7Kw). I had only done a few charges (2 or 3) with the Quattro set to charger only and all has been fine, typically a 20kW charge takes a few hours. Unfortunately with the latest charge I didn’t flick the main switch on the Quattro to charger only, so the car started to charge using both battery and grid power. When I returned to the EV later I noticed my mistake and immediately flicked the switch. Unfortunately the batteries are no longer able to be charged and there is a ‘low voltage’ error message on the Quattro. The charge level leds on the pylontech batteries also do not show, although the run led flashes as normal. I imagine I might have fried the batteries, but all seems to be as normal.

I am unable to work out if it’s a Quattro or battery problem. It seems the system is in ‘protected’ mode permanently. VRM shows normal values, but the charger seems to be on a low trickle charge which I cant change/turn off. (Images attached)

Any ideas/suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you

grab1.pnggrab2.jpg

grab3.jpg

grab4.jpg

Pylontechquattro 10kva
grab1.png (98.9 KiB)
grab2.jpg (55.0 KiB)
grab3.jpg (51.1 KiB)
grab4.jpg (60.5 KiB)
quattro-1.jpg (80.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@tcollins

Have you updated the components? Are you running ESS? I don't see solar there either.

If you are running ESS, adjust your dynamic cut off in ESS assistant if they are not at the recommended settings. You system seems to have hit sustain (so this could be one of two things) as the voltage on your loads has fallen under the dynamic cut off. Did you set them up according to the Victron Pylon page?

Otherwise set the system to keep batteries charged that will get them out of sustain.

When the lights on the pylons are off (run light on) the batteries are idle. As in not charging or discharging.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

trevorc avatar image
trevorc answered ·

@Alexandra

In reply:

No components have been updated, but I did update the firmware whilst trying to problem solve the problem - no change.

Yes, I am running ESS, so have now loaded an older ESS assistant which does have the dynamic cut off set to lower levels. Low battery alarm has gone off, but no change in that the batteries do not discharge or take a charge (VRM dashboard does say charging @ approx 1A ?)

Thanks for your help

Trevor

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

The ESS #5 slow charge in progress in the battery icon. Could.be a result of battery life being switched on and ending up in sustain and the lower temperatures.

In the ESS menu on the GX switch to keep batteries charged, or switch off battery life and raise the low SOC cut off.

Also check your input current limit. Make sure it is high enough to charge and run loads.

0 Likes 0 ·
gpwengineer avatar image
gpwengineer answered ·

Firmware updates basically resets all settings and assistants. Best check every setting again...

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Pylontech battery compatibility guide