question

anieuwstadt avatar image
anieuwstadt asked

VRM advanced performance

Hi, is anyone else having problems with advanced charts taking a long time to load, and editing of custom widgets being very slow?

vrm advanced
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
s1277 avatar image
s1277 answered ·

I do randomly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

anieuwstadt avatar image
anieuwstadt answered ·

I have tried the following:

1. Browsers: EDGE, Chrome, Safari and Vivaldi
  2. Platform: Phone, Tablet, Laptop Windows and Mac Mini
  3. Network: Three different ISP networks

The problems persist. Suspect either a VRM platform issue or a network issue.

Hop 6 which appears to be part of the AWS network is erratic.

1698165266879.png

1698165266879.png (313.4 KiB)
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) keeps a close eye on this. But looks from your trace as if it's a local issue.

2 |3000

anieuwstadt avatar image
anieuwstadt answered ·

Hi,

Not sure what is meant by "local issue". As decribed, this is an AWS issue. AWS are a service provider to Victron and their infrastructure is affecting the user experience of VRM. AWS are directing vrm.victronenergy.com via their network to servers that appear to be located in the EU ( based on RTT values).

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Sorry, I misread the chart.
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Thanks for the report @anieuwstadt, and the ping Kev.

There are no known performance issues right now.

I have passed your feedback on to the VRM team.

1 comment
2 |3000

anieuwstadt avatar image anieuwstadt commented ·
Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Generally in SA, the issue is related to international peering problems from the ISP (vox in your case) and their upstream provider.

I have resolved a few issues like this with my own ISP, who fortunately have good support.

A typical round trip is 180ms. 40ms jitter isn't the end of the world, but it does sound like a common peering issue, almost willing to bet it is seacom.

The "missing" hops will be routers/gateways that don't respond to ICMP requests.

(if you're using any dns proxies to enable streaming TV, disable that and use 8.8.8.8 as a dns to test)

1 comment
2 |3000

anieuwstadt avatar image anieuwstadt commented ·
Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts, but it is neither a DNS issue nor a peering. As per the notes, I tried three different ISPs. Each has its own peering connection and DNS. This was checked before posting. The delay average was 40ms, but the jitter (delay variance between consecutive packs) was much greater.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic