question

risphil avatar image
risphil asked

Dual Multiplus II failing to charge from generator

Single phase two MP2 5000 connected with exact same length cables between AC outs and also same length cable between AC ins. 6 x US3000 Pylontech batteries and Cerbo with 12 x 500W PV panels. All been working perfectly for possibly around 2 years now. System did have connection to the grid for when no solar energy, grid supply was to both AC ins and it charged the batteries when turned on. All worked well. Grid supply was removed some months ago and a 6.5 kW diesel generator with AVR, supplied as suitable for PV systems was purchased. Due to current bad weather, the generator was connected to the two ACins via the same wiring as was used previously for the grid. When generating, the Master MP2 shows fixed LED for inverter but fails to even indicate presense of AC, ie green AC Mains LED does not light up (AC in is present, as measured with test meter, AC is at the ACin terminal, voltage is same to within +/- 1 volt and frequency shows same as inverter output within +/- 0.5Hz) .Slave MP2 shows flashing mains LED and flashing inverter on LED.

I have tested the generator onto an external load, it is working and very stable output, no discernable fluctuation in voltage or frequency by turning on a 3kW electric fire.

I have checked all the settings, tried several options, but nothing seems to allow the Master MP2 to indicate the presense of correct voltage at its ACin terminals.

What is so weird is that it did work a year ago, with same wiring, but using grid supply. This information may be confusing the issue and obscuring the problem

(Apologies to readers, the use of the terms Master and Slave is intended purely and only for engineering context)

Multiplus-IIchargerGeneratormultiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

17 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Have you tried switching ups mode on/off? Weak ac input on/off?

If you have a MK3 you can connect to a PC and check the log from veconfigure to see why ac input is being rejected.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

risphil avatar image
risphil answered ·

Hi Derrick

Thanks for the reply - I do have the Mk3 and access using veconfigure and I have turned weak ac on (also tried in the off mode) - no difference.

I have not tried the UPS on/off option, I will take a look at that and see if it makes a difference

Here is what I find confusing - if I connect a really cheap, low power, Chinese generator to the system, it all works, except it really overloads the poor generator. The MP2 AC mains in LED lights up, it syncs, and then it tries to draw power, but its all too much for the el cheapo Chinese generator. I then unplug the power lead from El Cheapo and plug in to the specially set up for PV systems diesel 8.5kW generator and nothing happens, no Mains in LED, zilch. I check the AC input, its 230v, I check the frequency with my Fluke, its fine, I add a 2kW heater load to the generator, heater warms up, generator does not even notice, not miss a beat. So why on earth does the Victron not like this generator?

I am sure this must be something very silly, but so far, I dont see the funny side, but maybe soon I will be laughing :-)

1 comment
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
Plug in the mk3 and open veconfigure. Check the log and it will tell you why it is rejecting the generator.
0 Likes 0 ·
risphil avatar image
risphil answered ·

I did this, there is nothing in the log. But I will check again

2 comments
2 |3000

Have you tried it with the generator running and multi in a state of ac rejection? If it is not showing anything at all then I would suspect a wiring issue between the generator and the multi.

0 Likes 0 ·
risphil avatar image risphil derrick thomas commented ·
I have run a cable from the PV system to the generator with a plug on the end to plug into the generator. Start and run the generator (brand new Hyundai 6.5kW diesel) and there is zero detection of its output. Check the voltage and frequency at the MP AC in and it shows 231v and 50.5Hz. No Mains On LED light on the Charger side of the MP display.

Now this is where it gets strange, unplug the cable from the Hyundai and stop it, then plug in to cheap petrol 2kW Chinese generator, Mains On light comes on, it attempts to syncronise succeeds and then draws so much power that the poor Chinese generator struggles to keep going.

Again, voltage from Chinese generator is about the same as the Hyundai.

I have also put a 2kW load on the Hyundai, it works fine and does not hesitate

As wiring is common to both generators, and as Victron configuration is common to both generators, one works, the other doesnt, I am assuming its a generator problem.

But the outputs are identical in terms of voltage and frequency. This is why I find this such a puzzle, yet there must be an explanation

I have been in contact with Hyundai tech support, they are unable to offer any ideas, simply advising me that their generators work with Victron.

0 Likes 0 ·
risphil avatar image
risphil answered ·

The only check I have not made is to look at Hyundai output on a scope. Perhaps there are spikes or a DC offset that is confusing the MP2? Anyone any experience of these things?

1 comment
2 |3000

risphil avatar image risphil commented ·
I will be checking the generator output with a scope next week, I will continue to post on here until issue is resolved in hope it may help others in the future

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@RisPhil

Take a look through this.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

Gensets can't buffer like grid can, and you'll almost certainly need to tick Dynamic Current Limiter to bring on the load/charge over a few seconds rather than in one hit. It may even be the genset rejecting the Victron..

Try reducing the AC Input Current Limit on both Multis for testing. You can optimize this later when you get it working.

And then there's other undocumented things, like maybe a dicky power lead, that can cause things like this. I've suffered that myself.

Just be patient and watch for clues. All gensets are different, and you need to suss it out. You'll find the issue, hopefully sooner than later..

2 |3000

risphil avatar image
risphil answered ·

Thank @JohnC. I have set Dynamic Current Limiter and also adjusted the AC current limit but be aware that the MP+2 does not even recognise that ACin is present because the charger side Mains On LED does not light up when this generator is connected even though I measure 230vac at 50Hz coming in to the AC in terminals. If I unplug this large diesel brand new generator and plug in a small cheap Chinese petrol generator, immediately the charger mains in LED lights up and after a few seconds it tries to sync, it even succeeds to sync and overloads the little generator. So I cannot see how this is anything to do with Victron settings?

If the problem was failing to sync, or it clicks in and drops out, yes I get it, but the AC from the Hyundai is not recognised whereas the AC from the cheap Chinese generator is recognised, no other changes made to the system other than unplug one generator and plug in the other. A normal test meter shows no difference between the AC outputs of the two generators, both at 230vac and 50Hz. Obviously there is a difference, hence my idea to look with a scope

2 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@RisPhil

Indeed, you may well be looking for something you don't expect. As an example, I've seen several times that when a genset is in 'Economy' mode and at idle revs, plug it into a Multi and it will immediately go to full revs. That's before the relay closes to accept it, so the Multi is feeding something back to it to cause this. That's with both AVR and Inverter regulated gensets.

Keep an open mind.

0 Likes 0 ·
risphil avatar image risphil JohnC ♦ commented ·
I would imagine that in this situation, even the slightest loading on the generator (for example the VIctron relays) may cause the AVR to change from idle to run and revs increase. I know of no other feedback mechanism (implies communication) between Victron and any genset other than what is passed along the power cables. I know of voltage, current and frequency, no other communications seem possible without data handshakes within a known and accepted common protocol.

But, as you say, I am keeping an open mind, indeed, the incident has piqued my curiosity, its quite fascinating, but probably very simple, obvious and easy to have found if only I had thought to look in the right place. This is how experience is gained :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
risphil avatar image
risphil answered ·

I am wondering what conditions Victron set for the AC input in order for the AC in LED to be illuminated?

Obviously within the input AC voltage range and frequency tolerance, but presumably other conditions need to be met?

4 comments
2 |3000

regenwetter avatar image regenwetter commented ·

Is the MainsLED on, when The MP dont accept the Incomming Power becouse of an (wrong) Gridcode?

I installed two different Multiplus, one for the Grid and one for the Generator.

I cant use the "Grid-Multiplus" on the Generator without changing the Grid Code.

But I am not shure if the Mains-LED was on.

0 Likes 0 ·
The ac mains led will not be lit unless the multi has qualified and connected to the ac input. If the led is not lit does not mean that the multi cannot "see" the ac input, it means that the multi has disqualified the ac input for some reason and will not pass it through. With the generator connected and running, plug in the mk3 and open veconfigure. Look in the left panel to see if voltage is present. Open the log to see why the multi has disqualified the ac input. This has to be done with the generator connected, running, and producing power to the multi.
0 Likes 0 ·
risphil avatar image risphil derrick thomas commented ·
Interesting, because this is not what happens with the Chinese cheapo generator. Upon connection, the Mains Input LED lights up, then there is a delay which I assume is the syncing process, a few seconds, and then there is the resounding clunk of the relays and the poor little generator is loaded (input AC current still be set to the big generator, I did not reset for this quick test). So on this MP2+ the LED lights up before syncing. I will take video on Tuesday when I am on site
0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas risphil commented ·
Yes this is correct. I inadvertently left that step out. The led will light once the incoming AC has been qualified, but the multi still has to sync before the relay engages.
0 Likes 0 ·
phoenix avatar image
phoenix answered ·

What is your earth rod impedance and is the rod connected to the generator chassis with a 10mm cable (and to the MPs). I think Hyundai normally link earth and neutral but check that this link exists (measure at the generator output socket with it not running)

I was recently called out to a job with a fully dealer commissioned Hyundai 6.5kVA generator only to find the output was at 52.5Hz. By loading it at 3kW the speed dropped enough to get it down to 51Hz. I also noticed a lot of harmonics at no load. Try a slightly larger load?

2 comments
2 |3000

risphil avatar image risphil commented ·
Hi Phoenix

Thanks for constructive comments

- I have tried with and without Earthing the generator, ie, with it floating and insultated from ground, and with it bonded to Victron grounds and with large earthing cable from its own earthing rod - no difference in any of these configurations

- initial frequency of the output of the Hyundai was 52.5 Hz, but I adjusted to 50Hz. I understand Victron can accept quite a wide range of input frequencies, but I set the generator correct as matter of installation procedure.

- I plan to check output on scope this coming Tuesday when I am back in customers area. Maybe see some explanation of this issue. I will also look at the output of the cheap Chinese generator, just out of curiosity. Will post images on here for those who are interested

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem risphil commented ·
52.5 Hz would be AT the edge of the acceptable range unless you select "Accept wide input frequency range". Then it's 45-65 Hz.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The Multi requires a stable frequency on its input in order to sync to it. Once that happens, the AC input relay will close and you'll hear that thunk. I believe the AC input LED lights at that same time (which is what Derrick said above). If the generator RPM is not stable then the output frequency will also vary. I don't know how stable it needs to be in order to be recognized. (Of course, inverter generators produce a stable frequency regardless of engine RPM.)

One thing most people suggest for generator is to select wide frequency range. When off, the frequency must be within 5% of the set frequency. When on, the Multi will accept a wider frequency range. But I don't know if that relaxes the stability requirements.

2 |3000

risphil avatar image
risphil answered ·

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the thoughts and helpful comments. I will be going through the entire system again on Tuesday with digital frequency meter, voltmeter and oscilloscope, so hopefully I will be able to find the source of the problem. Will post my findings (or perhaps ongoing problems) on here.

Phil

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@RisPhil

Try it also with a small load connected directly to the genset as well. Maybe an old lightbulb for a visual clue. Ya never know..

0 Likes 0 ·
risphil avatar image
risphil answered ·

Yesterday I made two videos resulting from a quick lash up test comparing the brand new Hyundai diesel, sold as being especially suitable for integration into PV systems and an old cheap small petrol generator. The cause of the problem is now obvious

PS, I made a mistake earlier in one of my responses - the MP2 mains input LED only lights up when the the input is accepted by the system - not as I had written, when any AC is present. My mistake

I have informed the supplier and also Hyundai tech support (whose response so far has been to inform me that they have sold thousands and never had a problem, implying its all my fault) and will post their responses on here for anyones future benefit

dirty-hyundai.mp4 (12.7 MiB)
cheap-chinese.mp4 (5.9 MiB)
2 |3000

risphil avatar image
risphil answered ·

Hyundai have offered to supply replacement AVR units for me to fit. I suspect the generator may work better without AVR, but I will try, once I have it in writing that the warranty will not be voided

2 |3000

risphil avatar image
risphil answered ·

Finally, I have installed the new AVR and it solved the problem, the output from generator is now a proper sine wave, the MP2 syncs and it charges the batteries. Hyundai supplied faulty generator from the outset. For those who live in Spain or Portugal, Hyundai outsource their tech support to a company called GRV Power. These people did nothing to resolve the issue, their response was simply that they have sold thousands of these generators and never had problems. They also offered to look at it, but made it clear that they would only check voltage and power output, both of which were fine. It was THD that was the problem.

New issue, if anyone has any ideas, syncs fine, charges batteries up to around 2kW from the generator, but if I set power limits to above this amount, MP2 disconnects from the generator. I can see no issue with the sine wave, voltage or frequency, this being a 5.5 kW generator. Any ideas for me to explore would be gratefully received

2 |3000

vward avatar image
vward answered ·

Is that a 16 amp plug in the photo, or a 32 amp plug? A 16 amp plug limits the output of the generator to 16 amps X 230 volts, or 3.6 ish kW. My generator calls itself a 5.5 kva, but I only have 16 amp plugs. If I had two loads I could get the full 5 kW (ish) out of my generator, but never out of one plug.

2 |3000

vward avatar image
vward answered ·

And not sure if you have 2 multipluses in parallel like I do? In case you aren't aware, the current limit needs to be divided over the two. So my veconfigure files have current limit is 7.5 amps in one and 7.5 in the other. Because I don't have a 32 amp plug on my Generator, I have a 16 amp plug.

2 |3000

mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

DHY8500LEY 7.500 KVA

Frequency: 50HzContinuous power: 6.000W

Max power: 6.500WVoltage: 230VCurrent: 27AOutputs: 1x16A / 1x32A

Diesel tank: 14ltrMax continuous operating time: 4.5 hours at 100% loadOperating time at 50% load: approx. 10 hoursNoise level @7m : 77 dBa

Battery charger: 12V 8.3A

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I had something similar with a Hyundai DHY8000SELR-T.

I'm not sure if this is relevant as it has single phase 230V and 3 phase 400V, but worth a try.

On checking the single phase 230V AC output I found that the voltage on the two legs was a long way out of balance(AC multimeter to earth on the generator). Connecting neutral to PE in the CEE 32A plug of the cable sorted it. PE in the cable is, of course, connected to the Multiplus. (Actually an EasySolar). Seems the Victron kit is sophisticated enough to recognise this.

If you have concerns, don't try this out. I struggled with this for a while before doing it, despite a qualified boat electrician saying try it... The multi has an internal connection via relay between earth and neutral. But this only happens on battery/no AC in. So it sees the generator as grid/shore power and does not bridge with it's relay. Net result no earth loops.

2 |3000