question

dave1983 avatar image
dave1983 asked

Best way to use Orion-Tr Smart and Smart IP22 in Motorhome

Hi,

I have just purchased a Smart Blue IP22 15AMP with 3 outputs and an Isolated Orion Tri DC/DC 18Amp charger to use for charging my motorhome starter battery and leisure battery. The Smartblue will be used when on 240v hook up and the Orion when the van is driving and charging via the alternator.

Could someone advise is it best to have two outputs from the Smartblue (one to the starter batt and one to the Leisure Batt) and then have the Orion between the two batts. This way when the motorhome is hooked up to 240v both batteries will be being charged by the Smartblue. My worry with this method is will it cause an issue with the Orion as both batteries will be receiving a charge with the Orion trying to charge the leisure battery due to the starter battery receiving charge. Would that cause an issue or damage something or is the Orion smart enough to work out whats going on and manage the situation? Also would there be an issue if the van engine was accidentally started when on 240v hook up and started putting power into the starter battery/Orion at the same time as the Smart Blue?

The second option is to just wire the Smart Blue to the engine starter battery (not the leisure battery) and then let the Orion charge the Leisure battery. I have two questions with this method. Will the Orion stop charging the leisure battery due to the Smart Blue dropping the voltage in the latter stages of the charge cycle to below the 14v cutoff in the Orion? Also will this method slow the speed at which both batteries get charged?

I am complete beginner at this so sorry if some of the above are silly questions.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

orion-tr smartbluesmart ip22
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
I would use the two outputs from the BSIP22, one to each battery - or as there are 3 outputs, wire two to the largest battery - and then add some inhibit logic to force the orion dc/dc charger to off when the mains charging is used.
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers