question

danny-kennard avatar image
danny-kennard asked

Charging options for liesure and car battery - mains, solar, DC-DC

Afternoon folks,

I am just in the midst of a camper conversion and have been struggling to find out if the following is possible.

I have the following items regarding the charging side of things:

- Victron Orion-TR Smart DC-DC isolated 12v 18A

- Victron BlueSmart 12v 15a 3 output mains charger

- Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/15

All 3 will be connected via a distribution block to the leisure battery bank (2 x 115ah AGM) which i understand is ok to do, but i would also like to charge the car battery via the mains BlueSmart charger while connected to shore power.

Now i could run a ing switch live to the DC-DC charger so it only comes on when driving, but that means running a cable the length of the van which i could do without, and i'd rather not if i don't have to.

So the question is, would it be a problem if the BlueSmart mains charger was charging the leisure batteries and the car battery, which would then switch the DC-DC charger on as it'll see the high voltage?

Thanks!

orion-tr smartbluesmart ip22
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The dc:dc chargers are unique directional.

It looks as if you want to charge the leisure battery from the alternator while driving, as well as the starter battery from mains hookup.

This means 2 x orion dc:dc chargers, one for each direction. They can be setup for voltage based on/off switching, this is under engine on detection in the settings.

However... if you make the assumption that the starter battery only needs a trickle charge on mains, you can do what I did, fit a Votronic trickle charger to go from the leisure side to the starter battery. Much cheaper.

But whatever you do, you'll be adding more wiring.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sergiu avatar image sergiu commented ·

I have installed the DC-DC 12v 30a Isolated, when installing the trickle charger do i need to ground the negative to the chassis, since the dc-dc is directional does it allow for the negative to be used?

Regards, Sergio.

0 Likes 0 ·
stevensnel avatar image stevensnel commented ·
I’m not sure that you’ll be adding more wiring. Couldn’t I splice in the trickle wire to the positive-in of the Orion. In effect I am using the positive wire that’s already there to charge the starter battery.
0 Likes 0 ·
sergiu avatar image sergiu stevensnel commented ·
Yep, seems like if you have an isolated unit, you will have to ground it to the chassis, so the car/van battery can receive the balance amps.

That beats up the extra cost you pay on the isolated units.

0 Likes 0 ·