question

camperconversion avatar image
camperconversion asked

MultiPlus Combi Setup

Hi Guys, looking for a little bit of advice if possible.

I have recently purchased some pre-loved Victron equipment which I am very excited to get wired in and in use. I plan on fitting everything I've just purchased in to a motorhome conversion. I purchased a great deal including a Phoenix MulitPlus Combi 12/800/35, colour CCGX control panel, a Carlo Gavazzi monitor (not required I believe) and 2x large Odyssey 214ah agm batteries. I also have a 150/70 MC4 MPPT solar controller with 2x 270w panels.

I have a couple of quick questions I'm hoping someone in the know will be able to fire a quick answer to.

In regards to wiring in a RCD consumer unit for trip protection, should this be wired from the mains before going in to the Combi or on the 240v output from the combi or both (needing 2 consumer units)? If a consumer unit goes before the combi, what amperage would be required for the RCD & MCB for the combi as the unit says it offers 35a of battery charging when on mains yet most camp sites usually only offer 10a-16a on hook up?

The pre-loved equipment I purchased was wired for a residential battery back up power system, does anything need changing inside the combi unit as it will now barely ever be on mains power, only if on hook up at a campsite which will be a rarity (while I own it anyway) or is it a case of pretty much plug & play?

Is the Carlo Gavazzi energy monitor not required for my above purposes which came with the bundle deal I purchased (if not, I'll sell that on)?

Hoping someone can shine some light on the above and clear the confusion.

Thanks in advance

Multiplus-IICCGX Color ControlPhoenix Inverter
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

The RCD should go in front of the Unit mains supply side, also the type of RCD might have to be a type A for AC an pulsating DC to insure that is trips.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi CC. You should raise a sparky to this task, but a 16A RCD on the output of the Multi should do.

The 35A of batt charge is at 12V, so less than 500W in practice. Nothingness..

You could flick the C-G meter if you don't see a specific use for it. I can't see one..

All plug'n'play essentially, but that CCGX is a bonus. Hopefully all it's connectors are there, so give it some www, and you'll have motorhome monitoring beyond many of your peers.

Happy camping.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

camperconversion answered ·

Thanks for the replies, I'm trying to avoid getting a sparky out as I've carried out all my own electric installs on a number of previous camper conversions I've done, just with this being the first time using any Victron equipment I just wanted to make sure there was nothing that needed adjusting in the unit and I wasn't sure whether to put the consumer unit before or after the combi after looking around the community posts about consumer units.

I was reading a lot of conflicting posts about where one should be located on previous posts about the consumer unit subjects, some saying before the combi, others saying after or both etc and again as seen above, in the 2 replies I've had, one I think is advising before and the other reply advises after. Is there no confirmed Victron best practice regarding consumer unit locations for hook up etc?

The CCGX didn't come with much wiring, just the unit but I presume it just needs some VE Direct cables to go from the mppt and combi back to the ccgx, a 12v power in and a wifi dongle for remote monitoring and thats it?

1 comment
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

Depending what your county electric code requires, need to consult on the rules that apply to your country.

Note: any thing with a plug should be a on a RCD, any fixed wired appliances don't have to have RCD, due to leakage current on stove elements etc.

The idea with a plug people could touch the pins and trip the RCD. were in fixed wiring you can't.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
camperconversion answered ·

Attached is a proposed consumer unit layout which I think would protect both incoming and outgoing 240v to & from the combi from hook up and while inverting, excuse the crudeness of the ms paint picture, it's just to make a proposed layout a bit clearer to understand (I hope). Does this look about right? Quick description:63a 30ma RCB feeding 16a mcb to the combi 240v in. From the combi 240v out back in to another 16a mcb and then off to inverted power sockets. Other MCB's fed directly from the 63a rcd for standard hook up 240v for electric cooker, power sockets etc. See pic attached and forgive crudeness, hopefully its understandable

diagram.jpg (101.2 KiB)
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

I'm not a sparky either, and won't enter an argument over this.

But if you look at a Victron Easysolar box, it has onboard an RCD on the AC OUT, the AC IN side expected to provide it's own protection, whether shore, generator, grid, or a hybrid mix (there's a breaker on AC IN, but not an RCD). And the MEN switching capabilities/batt supply within require that where I live.

2 |3000