question

mike61es avatar image
mike61es asked

Power Supply mode IP22 12/20

Hello. I have a IP22 12/20 blue smart charger with 3 outputs. I have it in a sailing boat connected to 3 batteries, 1 for the engine and 2 AGMs for the 12V interior installation. I have a fridge with a 12V 5A compressor running from this installation. When I'm not on the boat and leave it in the marina hooked up to 220V, I would like to use the charger as a 12V power supply for the fridge so that there is no battery consumption. When I switch to power supply mode, if I disconnect the batteries, the fridge goes off. Is there a way of using it as a power supply even if the batteries are off? Or if I leave the batteries on, will the fridge still be running off the batteries even if in power supply mode and will the charger still be charging them? I'm just trying to save battery life and also for security reasons, I figured that by turning them off or not charging them would be a good solution whilst still being able to use the fridge. My other alternative would be to get a seperate 220V to 12V transformer and plug the fridge into this when at the marina.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

chargerbluesmart ip22shorepower
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Hi @mike61es using the blue smart charger in charger mode is likely your best approach. It will initially charge your batteries (bulk and absorption) before going to float mode. When in float mode the charger will supply the load without depleting or further charging the batteries, look to your battery manufacturer for the recommended float voltage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Do not forget that fridges take a much larger start up current than normal load and a 20A power pack may not be able to supply this without voltage dropping. It is best to keep the battery in circuit to provide the start up demand and buffer the voltage.

1 comment
2 |3000

mike61es avatar image mike61es commented ·
Many thanks for your replies. When you say "keep the battery in circuit" do you mean use the IP22 in charger mode or can I use it in Power Supply mode with the batteries connected?
0 Likes 0 ·