question

ako avatar image
ako asked

DC to DC very hot

Just connected my new DC to DC non insolate 24-24 17amp charger which has remained boxed up for about 3 months . Everything was connected as per the manual and its connected to a New Lithium battery that also arrived about 3 months ago with a 40% charge and a voltage of 26.2 .

The DC to DC charger after about 20-30 mins but too hot to keep my hand on for more than a second or two , worried i might have a faulty piece of equipment or it could burst into flames .

The Charge rate on the 100 amp/hr battery is close to the recommended 20 amps , i have 17 going in , the positive cable from Busbar to Charger is just slightly warm but i think possibly its a tad undersized but the other cables are cold . VRM DC Power is showing around 440 watts and 16.5 Amps . The temperature probe i placed in the rear fins of the MPPT is showing 34c . Main AGM batteries have been at 100% for a couple of hours and a temperature of 27c so nothing else is particularly hot .

Any observations , advice or otherwise would be greatly appreciated .

orion dc-dc
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·

Hmmm...

The temperature probe i placed in the rear fins of the MPPT is showing 34c

I do not think, 34°C is hot. If I charge my electric load truck (24V/160Ah)with an Orion-Tr 24/24-12 (when I bought it, the Chargers did not exist) you can bake an egg on the charger. Butbitvdies not become critical hot.

However, I installed a tiny mechanical thermostat switch (you can get them from china man from 0-230°C in NC and NO) and switch on three 40x40mm 24V fans. This has reduced the body temperature of the Irion by more then 20°C.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

Unfortunately this appears to be a common problem, there are a few threads out there!! eg
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/46901/orion-dc-dc-overheating.html

It must be mounted in a well ventilated area with the heatsink oriented in the correct way (to dissipate heat), if everything else is correctly configured, within specified limits, then that is the best you can do....

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Some add a small computer fan to help by moving air over the cooling fins..
1 Like 1 ·
tighernan avatar image
tighernan answered ·

If its any help. I made up this, while the fans are on the small side, it works a treat. As you can see the fans are being run off a thermostatic switch. The two fans plus the switch probably cost about €15.20230802-160734.jpg

2 |3000

Related Resources