question

mdbrown avatar image
mdbrown asked

Orion DC-DC overheating

My Orion Tr Smart 12/12-30 Charger runs hot, and the output current folds back considerably. Anyone else with this problem? When cold, it will output 33A. When hot, it will fold back to 26A or less. Parts of the case may exceed 134dg F, in a cool (60dg F) environment. By adding a 80CFM fan above the fins, the case temperature is lowered by 20 degrees F, and the unit will continuosly output 30A. It would appear that the heat sink is undersized. Comments?

orion-tr smarttemperatureamps
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

miya avatar image miya commented ·

My Orion gets too hot - and dials back the Amps - so while this is called a 30A DC charger - it is not - as it gets to such a high temperature so quickly - you only get 30A for a couple of minutes. Look at this picture - close to 70c on fins and over 50c on case !!!!

img-0199.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
img-0199.jpg (318.5 KiB)
maxs avatar image maxs miya commented ·
Looking at the temperature profile, I noticed that the converter is placed on a table or something. For convectional cooling the mounting direction is important. Air must be able to pass the fins of the heatsink. Further one should keep some space below the converter and above. I guess that the heatsink provides R_th of approx. 0.5 K/W. For 87% efficiency 360W, I calculate 53.7W losses. Hence, self heating should be 25-30K max above ambiant T.
1 Like 1 ·
miya avatar image miya maxs commented ·
Yes Maxs - your are correct - that picture is on a table. This picture is after I removed one from it's installed location (as per installation manual). Place it on a table, place it upright with cooling space - it doesn't matter - it reaches 75c+. And you are correct with your calculations - I already made the same calculations - that is how it 'should' behave. But it doesn't - and that is my point. Correctly installed (not on a table) it reaches 75c+ in 5 minutes ... Fact. Correctly installed (not on table) it de-rates to 10A output... Fact.
0 Likes 0 ·
maxs avatar image maxs miya commented ·
Considering your information, I guess there should be something wrong in hardware. Can you measure input/output voltage and current to determine power dissipation. I wonder why the efficiency is only 87% for a non isolated topology. I dont know exactly what victron uses but i would guess some buck-boost topology. Maybe be there are also reverse/decoupling diodes creating aditional losses bringing the efficiency down. State of the art for 12V system should be some synchronous rectification and diode emulated MOSFETs (Oring) for decoupling, keeping efficiency way above 95% for 12V / 12V only application.
0 Likes 0 ·
maxs avatar image maxs maxs commented ·
Another issue that can create excessiv heating in power electronics is control loop instability. Converters dont deliver constant current then, and switch beetwen low current and very high current constantly. Frequencies are up to few kHz sometimes, depeneding on control loop time constant and overcurrent limit. Reason can be some active (diffential negativ input resistance), high line inductance or a combination. If you are able to oszillograph input and output voltage on approximately 1ms/div setting you can check for such instabbility.
0 Likes 0 ·
petaramesh avatar image petaramesh commented ·
I trusted the Victron brand so much that I ordered an Orion TR-Smart 12/12-30 without even thinking and installed it in my van only to discover that it heats like a barbecue and produces an awful smell of burning bakelite which worries me quite a lot.

Even though I followed the mounting instructions and drilled a number of 35 mm vents on my van's somewhat small electrical cabinet, I'm afraid it heats so much that it could end up damaging the other electronic devices in there, even though it is itsef able to stand the hellish heat it produces.

I then found this thread and felt very disappointed to discover that this is and old and known issue, and that recent series are supposed to be “fixed”. Well, mine is supposedly recent according to its HQ2221... S/N and well, still a barbecue.

I'm hesitating between finding a way to add some noisy fan to my poor electrical cabinet or sending the unit back for a refund, such a heat dissipation being far excessive for use in a small electrical cabinet in a van - where the manual states it produces “some” heat, but not barbecue-like.

I have in the same cabinet a Phoenix 120/240V 30 A charger that becomes barely warm, so I wonder why one Victron device would handle 30 amps wihtout barely heating, and another one could be used to grill sausages ?

My van's original electrical cabinet is disguised into a seat (by the manufacturer) and I have to remove the seating cushion for now and replace it with venting holes, that's a pity.

Plus the Orion is supposedly “Smart” although not enough to join a Vitron wireless network and share it's charging parameters with the Phoenix or SmartSolar...

I'm so glad with all my other Victron equipment, and so disappointed with this one !

Plus the headache I get breathing the burnt bakelite smell it produces...

0 Likes 0 ·
14 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all,

Daniel asked me to help here.

After producing x amount of Smart Orions, we changed two things:

- reduced maximum temperature. The first series didnt get so hot that it affected the electronics, but it was still too hot for “common sense”.

- changed max output current to not be more than rated output current. Instead of doing everything it can as long as it wasn’t too hot. Which was nice from a “lets give the customer maximum value for money” point of view; but not when the customer bought this to limit current draw on, for example, an alternator.

I’ll check for serial numbers when those changes were introduced when I get into the office

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mdbrown avatar image mdbrown commented ·

Were the changes a hardware/firmware change, or will a software update be issued? I haven't heard of any heat-related failures, just that they heat up fast and then fold back to effectively protect themselves.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mdbrown commented ·

Hi, its hardware changes.

i’ll add a bit more text to second bullet in a minute

0 Likes 0 ·
mdbrown avatar image mdbrown mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you. I noticed that the case get very hot, but the heatsink just comfortably warm. Could the thermal coupling of the device(s) to the heat sink be improved?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mdbrown commented ·

Perhaps yes; buts thats more something for a next generation.

0 Likes 0 ·
vlad-kosachevsky avatar image vlad-kosachevsky commented ·

Do you know what the serial numbers are for the newer model? The heat of the prior model is definitely too hot for "common sense".

0 Likes 0 ·
schanmala avatar image schanmala commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) Hi, do you have the serial numbers for the newer models?

Thanks,

0 Likes 0 ·
conradzik avatar image conradzik commented ·
Any update to this? What serial number did the change start at? Also, how much cooler are we talking? Thank you.
0 Likes 0 ·
jim-davis avatar image jim-davis commented ·

Serial numbers? It's been 2 years since this answer and since high temperatures are still being reported on Victron FB page, I suspect this is not a "fix"?

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 jim-davis commented ·

Serial numbers?

Scroll down.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Dear all,

My apologies that it took so extremely long to get back on this. Herewith the serial numbers on which we made the change:

1627988117421.png

The return policy for this is that anyone with a unit having an older serial number is eligible free of charge of a unit with the revised design; without any discussion. Contact your dealer for that, they will need to contact our Service department, whom are aware of this.

See my other answer for what was changed exactly.

All the best, Matthijs

1627988117421.png (50.4 KiB)
20 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
ps. I accepted my own answer to bring it to the top.
1 Like 1 ·
miya avatar image miya mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Matthijs

My 2x Orions are Part Number OR|121236140 and both have Serial Numbers starting HQ2042 - so my Orions are not eligible to be return and swapped - correct ?

Both my Orions will exceed 75c after 5 minutes. Both my Orions will only produce 10A at this temperature.

Regards

Tim

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ miya commented ·
Hi Miya / Tim, I have to check with the developer; but he is out for the coming two weeks. I'll get back to you after that.

Meanwhile, how are they installed / what is the ambient temperature?

0 Likes 0 ·
Many thanks - appreciate that - look forward to hearing from you in 2 weeks.

They were installed as per the instructions - with lots of ventilation space - with correct maximum size wires - with correct fuses. The ambient temperature ranges from lowest circa 10c and highest circa 20c. The ambient temperature has almost no difference to the Orion high temperature (75c+) and de-rating (down to 10A).

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ miya commented ·
Dear Miya, we tested a few here, and they do perform. I'll contact you by email for next steps; we'll get this sorted.
0 Likes 0 ·

Many thanks - this is excellent customer service - I appreciate it. Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
craigtong avatar image craigtong miya commented ·

Hi Tim / Matthijs

I'm curious about the outcome of the issue with Tim's units. Was there ultimately still a systematic issue with his later models?

I see the same rapid heating and current throttling. I have fans started with Aux voltage triggered relay of a BMV. That manages the situation but I can't sustain a full 30A, drops to about 25A and I still have concern about the excessive heat, should the fans not start for whatever reason. This Orion works at the back of a caravan so any burning wouldn't be noticed until it's too late.

Mine is ORI121236120 - HQ2022XKG3E so as per the table, the first batch of this model fixed.

*Correction - not the first batch I see it was HQ2019 of these*

Kind regards, Craig

0 Likes 0 ·
seeinghuman avatar image seeinghuman mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi

If you're offering help, please email me as well. I just installed a pair of 12v 30A non-isolated in parallel and right from the get go they go into absorption mode, even though my lithium bank is at 25%. I have the 'new' version and updated firmware a week ago when they were installed.
As for the other info you require to assist me, I'll need your guidance on that too.
Sure hoping I'm not going to regret spending this money on this product.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ seeinghuman commented ·
Hi, in case they go to absorption immediately, that means that as soon as they started charging, the voltage at their terminals lifted to over the absorption voltage.

Which can be due to too much resistance between the unit and the battery, (too thin cabling, bad connection, etc). Or can also be simply because the battery was actually quite full - meaning that there is no problem to solve.

Or it could be due to the configured absorption voltage. And probably there can be even more reasons, but above is where I'd start looking.

For more help on that, please contact your distributor; its not something I can help you with remotely.

Hope its sorted soon! Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·
tom-dv avatar image tom-dv mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
I currenty have exactly the same problem! Cabling should be ok, 16mm2 for each Orion to the battery protect, from battery protect to busbar 25mm2 (5cm) and from busbar to battery 50mm2 (60cm) absorbtion is set to 14,2V as stated for the 200Ah smart lithium. Today I bypassed the battery protect (65A) and now it seems to work perfect. I keep looking in to it this week and keep u posted.
0 Likes 0 ·
idunne avatar image idunne commented ·
so how do you tell if you have an older serial number i have PN ORI121236120 SN HQ2034KH9G8 is mine for a return
0 Likes 0 ·
wildbill2112 avatar image wildbill2112 commented ·
is it the part number, serial number, or both that we need to use to verify the latest updated Orion with hardware changes

The 12/12v 30a 360w unit I just purchased has the same part number but the serial number begins with HQ2034 which is not the HQ number listed above. Is my Orion an updated unit? If not, am I eligible for the return process?

Thank you!

William

daviswj2112@yahoo.com

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ wildbill2112 commented ·
Hi @WildBill2112

Yes your unit is newer (has a higher number) than listed so it is updated.

The first two digits depict the production year (2021), the second two digits the week (34)

0 Likes 0 ·
d-winterburn avatar image d-winterburn Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
So, just to be clear regarding serial numbers..

Any unit with HQ2019 or higher value (2020 week 19 or later) has already had the hardware changes implemented and is not eligible for replacement?

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes 0 ·
rock2ya avatar image rock2ya commented ·
does this only affect the Orion TR Smart Models?

I have an Orion TR 12/24-5 and it doesn't limit the current at all

0 Likes 0 ·
danalog avatar image danalog commented ·

I have a HQ2008 12/24 15A smart model. Had it in a box for a while and recently installed and it smells rather badly. I've disconnected it as those kind of smells usually are a sign of something going to the eternal hunting fields of electronics.

Can I add a 120mm fan to solve the problem? Or do I need to send it back?

Problem 2: my Victron dealer is out of business. What now?

0 Likes 0 ·
daniel barron avatar image daniel barron commented ·

Hi, so after doing some research on trouble shooting a cooking hot unit a came across this thread, i believe i have an earlier model that certainly exceeded the 30a output on initial performance causing heating issues. The unit has now actually burtout. Can someone please confirm this is an earlier model? 20240407-082617.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ daniel barron commented ·
@daniel barron

HQ2007 means Week 7 2020 manufacture. It's not so old, and still under warranty.

0 Likes 0 ·
daniel barron avatar image daniel barron JohnC ♦ commented ·
In regards to the models that had heating issues and could be replaced this unit would be before the one on list which was 2021 serial?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ daniel barron commented ·
That's what mvader's post said.

0 Likes 0 ·
richard-cabesa avatar image
richard-cabesa answered ·

I don't have an answer for you but mine runs at about that same temp. I will admit that it is a new installation and I have only run it for an hour or so. Amps ran about 33-34 and dropped to about 29-30 once hot.

I would also like to know if this temperature is normal

2 |3000

daveinfl avatar image
daveinfl answered ·

I also had to add a 120mm fan to bring it down about 20 degrees. Curious if it's safe to continuously run this?

I use this on a boat in a small compartment; concerned what "Might Happen" with continuous use.

2 |3000

rvjim avatar image
rvjim answered ·

Mine is also overheating. The case gets to about 120 degrees and then goes from charging at 30 amps to 0.

The ambient temperature is only 87 degrees. We should not have to use a fan. Is this a bad design.

1 comment
2 |3000

sprinterip65 avatar image sprinterip65 commented ·

So as mine. I just installed my Orion Tr 12/24-15 yesterday, successfully used it for about 5 hours. First couple hours I could smell the factory oils burning off, then the smell went away after a while. It was very hot to the touch. I didn't get a chance to use my laser temperature gun though.

From the start I would encounter the voltage output showing nothing most of the time, and rarely it would show the proper voltage I set it to. I raised another report a few hours ago about that issue as well. Upgraded to firmware 1.05 in hopes of resolving but no luck.

Now after 5 hours of use, it's dead cold when when my engine is running. I'm able to view the Orion via Bluetooth, and the voltage input is stuck at 12.3v, output voltage showing blank whether the car is on or off.

0 Likes 0 ·
mateoing avatar image
mateoing answered ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) do you know if someone from Victron's staff is already looking into this issue? Is this issues resolved in upcoming manufactured units?

2 |3000

craigtong avatar image
craigtong answered ·

I would also like some feedback on this and whether it is safe.

The Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 Isolated I have is uncomfortable to touch on the plastic casing and touching the fins will outright burn your hand. It seems like component desoldering/fire-hazard territory to me. An efficiency of 87% of 360 W (46.8 W)is a lot heat to remove by convection of stationary air though so I have installed cooling fans to at least prevent current throttling.

2 comments
2 |3000

miya avatar image miya commented ·
In my opinion they are not safe - or fit for use as described. The product gets so hot it derates its power to an extent you do not actually have 30A charger. Its charges at 30A for about 5 minutes and then derates the power. Mine has reached 75c - at which temperature you only get 10A. Its a shame - I have fitted my yacht with over £10,000 of Victron equipment - all excellent - except this product - which is not fit for use. I have removed them from my yacht - as I consider them dangerous. I had 2 in parallel - to give me 60A - but I only get 20A - in total.
0 Likes 0 ·
rogerclarkau avatar image rogerclarkau miya commented ·
I agree.

This unit is not fit for purpose.

I have a brand new 12 12 - 30 non isolated , serial number begins with H2226 and it smells of burning after a few minutes of operation

I'm going to attempt to return it to the suppier and get a refund, because I don't believe it is fit for purpose and its also potentialy a fire hazard

0 Likes 0 ·
mec avatar image
mec answered ·

My Orions are heating up a lot. this was the temperature at about 30 minutes from the end of charge of the 230A lithium battery.

They charged constantly at 20+20 Amps, but when charging it was impossible to touch the blue body for more than 3 seconds.

the SX serial is HQ2047

the Dx serial is HQ2121

the firmware is the last.

ir-2023-08-27-0002.jpg

ir-2023-08-27-0001.jpg

ir-2023-08-27-0004.jpg

ir-2023-08-27-0001-foto.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

minmin avatar image minmin commented ·

Hey I think my cooling solution might be applicable to your setup.

here is the forum post: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/178930/low-profile-cooling-fan-mount-3d-printed-for-orion.html

Cheers

0 Likes 0 ·
klaus66 avatar image
klaus66 answered ·

Hi Victron!

I also have a very HOT orion-tr smart 12.12-30 with S/N HQ2149...img-20230604-132348-edit-216268143383665.jpg

Is there a solution for the heat problem???

2 comments
2 |3000

gazza avatar image gazza commented ·
Many, many threads on this..! The device just runs hot... period.

Apart from mounting it the correct way up to allow the cooling fins to work, in a cool location (if you can find one?). The consensus seems to be forced cooling with a fan....
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Likes 0 ·
steve49 avatar image
steve49 answered ·

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to give you my input regarding these Orions heating up to the point that they smell of hot Bakelite, which is very annoying.

Following Victron not wanting to RMA this new unit as it stank of hot Bakelite, I decided to use a active cooling system and devise an install that did not modify the Orion in anyway so if needed to RMA, Victron would not complain this time.
The use of a 20mmx20mm Black PVC angle was my idea.

img-3941.jpg

I cut the PVC to length, ground a circular cut out to match the fan shape (to not impeade airflow) and stuck the PVC to the fins either side of the Orion with double sided tape.

img-3940.jpg

Luckily the PVC pieces are 120mm apart.... what a coincidence... PC fans are 120mm in size.
The fan (Artic F12PWM) is screwed to the PVC via 4 black small self-tap screws.

img-3944.jpg

I didn't want the fan to run constantly so I had to use the output which could be switched off via the app (12/24-10 Smart model) but the fan is a 12v and the Orion output is set to 20V, so the use of a stamp size DC-DC buck board (MP1584EN) was necessary (set to 12V, but can be set lower via the pot for even quieter operation of the fan).

img-3943.jpg

I addition I used a 40°C thermal switch (KSD9700-40°C) (turn-on @50°C and turns-off @30°C) mounted right in the middle of the unit against the aluminium.

img-3942.jpg

The Orion is now mounted horizontally under the seat of my van using 4x nylon 40mm stand-offs. As the center of the unit warms up to 50°C the fan kicks in silently, and brings the unit back down to under 30°C, and oscillates hapilly between these two temps. To date, once the fan kicks in at over 50°C the fan just keeps running quietly and the center unit never really gets back down to under 30°C if running full tilt (10A) to charge my auxillary 20V-60Ah (5S20P) Li-ION pack. The unit remains cold to the touch even at full power for multiple hours.

Hope this helps anyone who is trying to to keep these DC-DC converters cool ;.)

Best regards,

Steve

img-3941.jpg (104.5 KiB)
img-3940.jpg (81.5 KiB)
img-3943.jpg (134.5 KiB)
img-3944.jpg (90.2 KiB)
img-3942.jpg (125.8 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Nice idea. Effective use of energy for sure.

here was my solution:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/178930/low-profile-cooling-fan-mount-3d-printed-for-orion.html

Cheers

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Very neat and well thought out. Thanks for the details.

2 |3000

gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

Seconded! Neat idea...

2 |3000

minmin avatar image
minmin answered ·

This was quite a problem for me initially when I first got them. Definitely blindly trusting victron without doing enough research of my own.

I 3D printed some fan mounts for a low-profile solution and posted the designs for people to 3D print themselves. See forum post here:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/178930/low-profile-cooling-fan-mount-3d-printed-for-orion.html

They keep the orions cool enough to keep your hand on them easily (without them on you will definitely burn yourself after a few seconds). It improves the efficiency and charge speed as well. Happy printing.

2 |3000

cstenger avatar image
cstenger answered ·

Just found that thread and checked my serial no. as with my Orion Smart 12/12-30 the current decreases fro 32A to 25A though I am already using a fan array pulling air upwards through the fins: HQ2138.

So it's the latest version and the improvements Victron made are having no effect in that regard.

Plus the Orion not being really smart, as

• it does not use network data, which would be really useful, as its voltage readings are [moderator edit: not as expected].
  • it is not fully configurable. A custom tail current would be so nice to stop it from going into absorbtion and float way to early.

That's really poor of you Victron.

2 |3000