question

mdbrown avatar image

Orion DC-DC overheating

My Orion Tr Smart 12/12-30 Charger runs hot, and the output current folds back considerably. Anyone else with this problem? When cold, it will output 33A. When hot, it will fold back to 26A or less. Parts of the case may exceed 134dg F, in a cool (60dg F) environment. By adding a 80CFM fan above the fins, the case temperature is lowered by 20 degrees F, and the unit will continuosly output 30A. It would appear that the heat sink is undersized. Comments?

orion-tr smarttemperatureamps
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
rvjim avatar image
rvjim answered ·

Mine is also overheating. The case gets to about 120 degrees and then goes from charging at 30 amps to 0.

The ambient temperature is only 87 degrees. We should not have to use a fan. Is this a bad design.

1 comment

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

So as mine. I just installed my Orion Tr 12/24-15 yesterday, successfully used it for about 5 hours. First couple hours I could smell the factory oils burning off, then the smell went away after a while. It was very hot to the touch. I didn't get a chance to use my laser temperature gun though.

From the start I would encounter the voltage output showing nothing most of the time, and rarely it would show the proper voltage I set it to. I raised another report a few hours ago about that issue as well. Upgraded to firmware 1.05 in hopes of resolving but no luck.

Now after 5 hours of use, it's dead cold when when my engine is running. I'm able to view the Orion via Bluetooth, and the voltage input is stuck at 12.3v, output voltage showing blank whether the car is on or off.

daveinfl avatar image
daveinfl answered ·

I also had to add a 120mm fan to bring it down about 20 degrees. Curious if it's safe to continuously run this?

I use this on a boat in a small compartment; concerned what "Might Happen" with continuous use.

richard-cabesa avatar image
richard-cabesa answered ·

I don't have an answer for you but mine runs at about that same temp. I will admit that it is a new installation and I have only run it for an hour or so. Amps ran about 33-34 and dropped to about 29-30 once hot.

I would also like to know if this temperature is normal