question

crystal007 avatar image
crystal007 asked

Please help choose right component for my setup.

My curreny setup of boat:

boat.png

I need DC - DC charger for batteries and shore power to charge baterries in garrage or maintein during winter. Will belowe setup work for me?

boat-victron.png

orion dc-dc
boat.png (882.8 KiB)
boat-victron.png (1.5 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
gn-ro avatar image
gn-ro answered ·

Why don't you use a 24V system only and a buck converter for 12V where needed. You'll have a little better in terms of efficiency and cheaper setup. Also my opinion is it's easier to maintain and simpler too. Also the Pb battery will die fast if you charge the other too larger ones from it...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Your lithium's can be left over winter without damage. If loads disconnected. Best to drop them to around 50% SOC for storage.

Lead acid must be kept charged, requires a charger that will switch to float or storage, so OK there.

Not clear what the alternator/charger outputs are, but the two Orion's will pull 60Amps wired like that. @gn_ro has warned...

Guessing the load on the lithium's will be small. You might be able to go down to one. If you stick with two lithium's, wire so that one charges from the other, not both in parallel from the lead acid. This will cut the load on the alternator and charger by half. So alternator/charger to lead acid. Lead acid to lithium. If second lithium, charge from first lithium. Ideally the first charger should have a max draw of about 50% of the alternator and 100% of the mains charger. Make sure it's only able to charge when lead acid close to charged. Say above 14.2V.

2 |3000

Related Resources