question

blmsequim avatar image
blmsequim asked

Orion-TR Smart 12/12-30 Isolated Fuse Placement

I am laying out the installation of a Orion-TR Smart 12/12-30 Isolated as a charger and found a diagram in the installation instructions. The alternator positive is shown being moved off the Battery with a fuse added and the run between the Alternator and the Orion-TR Charger is unfused. Is this correct?

Can I add a breaker/fuse in the run from the battery to the charger, leaving the alternator battery as originally installed?

orion-tr smartorion dc-dcwiring diagram
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@blmsequim@gmail.com

It is always best fuse on the incoming and outgoing as close as you can to the batteries. Cable shorts against the body can explode batteries. If you cut off current sources at the source then there is nothing to sustain fires as well.

The picture shown in the manual is pretty good practice. Also always use the recommended sizes.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

blmsequim avatar image
blmsequim answered ·

My concern is the direct run from the alternator to the Orion-TR. It appears that the Orion is not protected from issues with the Alternator nor the Alternator with issues with the cabling and or the Orion-TR. If I leave the Alternator connected to the Battery and fuse the cable connection running to the Orion I think I will be protecting all three from each other.

Alternator 130A, Fuse 60A, cabling 6awg, Orion-TR dc/dc 12 to 12 30A

16124a70e5ba70.jpg

16124a70e5ba70.jpg (86.7 KiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

blmsequim avatar image blmsequim commented ·
this is the diagram from the manual which I modified inside the yellow circle.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ blmsequim commented ·
Haven't you just moved the problem? Now the alternator/battery link is unfused.
0 Likes 0 ·
blmsequim avatar image blmsequim kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The alternator battery connection remains as designed and manufactured by the truck manufacturer. I would be adding a conductor to the Orion-TR and would add a fuse to protect that circuit. The alternator battery would remain unchanged.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ blmsequim commented ·
I was wondering if you'd say something like that. Mine has a big fat fuse between alternator and battery.

But adding the fuse your way should be OK.

0 Likes 0 ·
blmsequim avatar image blmsequim kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for the response.

I plan on using a switchable breaker (Bluesea 187 7140). This will allow me to switch the new circuit off while not in use.

0 Likes 0 ·