question

Colin avatar image
Colin asked

Battery temperature reading via Bluetooth network

Hi, I have two Victron solar charge controllers. A SmartSolar charge controller MPPT 150/70 -Tr VE.Can and a SmartSolar charge controller MPPT 250/70 -Tr VE.Can, each connected to its own solar panel array.

The two charge controllers are connected to each other via CAN-bus and also connected to a GX Venus. The two charge controllers sync and work together well and all the info/data sent to the GX Venus is easy to see via the VRM Portal/ internet.

I have read that when two or more SmartSolar charge controllers linked and synced via CAN-bus they ignore the Bluetooth network. Does this mean that the SmartSolar charge controllers would not take any notice of the battery temperature and voltage readings from a Victron Bluetooth Smart Battery Sense-Voltage and Temperature Sense device?

My question is, if I setup a Bluetooth network and add a Victron Smart Battery Sense-Voltage and Temperature Sensor, via Bluetooth, will the reading be used by the two CAN-bus synced charge controllers or will the temperature and voltage reading be ignored? (I have No battery temperature sensing installed at the moment) Many thanks for any help with this.

BluetoothTemperature SensorVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Colin

What are you using the temp sensor for? Temp compensation for charging or low temp cut off?

Correct. You have a GX. Don't use the smart network. It is in the limitations of the smart network manual. (Well you can but the results are not guaranteed and the behaviour is unpredictable)

You can add temp sensors to the mppt and use DVCC on the cerbo to share the information.

Or use a BMV for SOC and there add the temperature sensor.

The other option is to add it to the cerbo temp sensor input. But you will beed to use the relay to do low temp cut off charging if that is what you want.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Colin avatar image Colin commented ·

Hi Alexandra, Temp compensation for charging is the reason for the Temp sensor. Also I do have a Victron BMV 700 battery monitor installed. My GX is the Venus, Not the GX Cerbo (different facilities I think)

My system is a little old, I am using lead acid batteries 1000 ah. I've only recently added the new Victron SmartSolar charge controllers. We get frost here and 40C in summer so I thought Temp compensation would be a good idea. Just not sure which is the best way to do it. I plan to change to lithium batteries in the near future. I'm not familiar with DVCC, I will have to read up on that. Many thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect bluetooth troubleshooting guide

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor