question

andyronli avatar image
andyronli asked

Orient Shunt and distributor at 90 degrees

I do not have room to put the Lynx Shunt and distributor assembly underneath or above my inverter.It will be beside the inverter. From a battery wiring standpoint the best distribution is with the Shunt rotated 90 degrees so the battery terminals face down. From a distributor to inverter (and other load/inputs) the best orientation for the distributor is horizontal (as the labels are printed) Any accessories, that let me have a 90 degree turn between the 20 components. Any reason not to use 4/0 wire between the two components? Though that last leaves a lot of area for electrical tape ;-)

Thanks

ANdy

SmartShuntlynx distributor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@AndyRonLI

The only thing that could become a fiddle if you use the 4/0 adaptor cable is the comms connection between the shunt and the distributor. Otherwise electrically it wont be an issue.

You can get heat shrink that fits over the terminals if needed. So gummy tape is not an issue

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andyronli avatar image
andyronli answered ·

So if I went the wire route, I would need to find the right bolts for the terminals, need to do that anyway for the battery end I think

Thanks

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

It will be beside the inverter. From a battery wiring standpoint the best distribution is with the Shunt rotated 90 degrees so the battery terminals face down. From a distributor to inverter (and other load/inputs) the best orientation for the distributor is horizontal (as the labels are printed)

You want to rotate the Lynx Shunt only for "best distribution" reason?

So you have space to connect Lynx Shunt and Lynx Distributor "normally" (in-line)?

If yes, I don't see any advantage of rotating the Lynx Shunt relative to Lynx Distributor. You still have a 90 degree bend in wires (just not in battery wires). Better eliminate those extra wires and have the same 90 degrees bent in the battery wires.

-------

Bolts are M8 (metric thread, 8 millimeter diameter).

Use stainless steel bolts and nuts. Also use stainless steel M8 flat washers (2 for each bolt) and stainless steel M8 lock washers (split ring) (one for each bolt, placed between the nut and the flat washer).

For the battery wire lugs you should have this order: bolt head, flat washer, busbar, wire lug, flat washer, split ring lock washer, nut.

-------

Since you don't have a Lynx Power In (or another Lynx Distributor used for battery(es), you could just use a cheaper SmartShunt instead the Lynx Shunt.

In that case, use a fuse on the positive wire between the battery and Lynx Shunt. One option is to use NH type fuse, in a fuse holder (there are NH fuse holders which can act as a disconnector, too).

2 |3000