question

vick-da-aerbus avatar image
vick-da-aerbus asked

BMV 712 positive connection

The manual states to "Connect the M10 eye terminal of the red cable with the fuse to the positive terminal of the battery." This is an 8-10 foot run. Can I connect the cable with fuse to the Lynx Distributor positive?

Positive cable from battery goes through disconnect switch and then connects to distributor. The distributor (positive) sends a cable to inverter, but also connects the solar panels. With the fused cable from the shunt not connected to the battery, I don't get DC readout. So is the connection to the battery terminal required? (or did I solve my own question?)

BMV Battery MonitorSmartShuntwiringlynx distributor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Vick da Aerbus

As long as it reads the correct voltage, you will be fine. The positive is required to power up the BMV, but also for accurate bank voltage.

If the disconnect is opened, will it cut power to the positive of the bmv? If so, you will need to have a few settings so that is does not loose its sync with SOC, since it will have lost power.

Obviously it is most ideal for it to be on the positive of the battery bank, but sometimes it is not exactly practical.

Just be aware that you will be reading not exactly the bank voltage but a voltage drop under load or possibly a rise due to the fact the charge sources are closer. So can introduce inaccuracy.

Try and get it as close as you can.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vick-da-aerbus avatar image
vick-da-aerbus answered ·

Thank you. This has been quite a learning experience. I suppose a multimeter would be invaluable in cross referencing measurements for accuracy.

2 |3000