question

speric avatar image
speric asked

Leisure battery not fully charging

I'm not sure what's happening but my leisure battery is not charging, or fully charging.

My set-up: Victron DC-DC 12I12-30 smart charge controller, BMV-712 smart shunt, Victron Lynx distributor, and Lithium LiFePO4 100ah battery.

I've used the app to set everything up in default modes for what I have. It's not a complicated system, so I don't think anything is mis-wired. The only thing I have connected to power is a roof-fan, and a switch panel. The only thing wired to the panel are some LED string lights for the camper. I also turn off the power to the panel and fan with a kill switch when not in use. What I'm finding is that it's taking hours and hours of driving to charge the battery something like 10%. I'm running 6awg wire from the engine bay to the controller. I know this is not normal. I'm also driving a 2020 Jeep Gladiator with the upgraded alternator, if that helps. What am I doing wrong?

battery chargingLithium Batterysetup
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Please give us a screen shot of the battery settings and engine detection settings in the Orion.

Does your Jeep have a smart alternator?

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
speric avatar image
speric answered ·

It does have a smart alternator. A couple of things I’ve noticed is that if the display reads low, but then I unplug it, and plug it back in, it reads 100%. So I wonder if it is charging but the sensor isn’t picking it up? Any way here are a couple of screen shots of my settings and such. This is while the engine is running. Let me know if these aren’t what you needed.img-7737.pngimg-7738.png

img-7738.png (26.7 KiB)
img-7737.png (27.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

By default the BMV will reset to 100% when it starts/restarts. Explains the jump to 100%. You can change this in the settings.

Both screen shots show the battery charging.

Orions don't report current, just voltages/status.

Guessing your battery settings in the BMV are incorrect. Please post a shot of them. Also the battery maker's charging settings. Would also help if you post the Orion battery settings. All need to match.

2 comments
2 |3000

speric avatar image speric commented ·

Does this help?

img-7743.png

0 Likes 0 ·
img-7743.png (35.3 KiB)
img-7744.png (940.2 KiB)
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ speric commented ·
You missed the settingss of the orion.
0 Likes 0 ·
mrpsychedelic avatar image
mrpsychedelic answered ·

Hey did you ever find a solution? We have the same batteries and I'm having the same issue with it not fully charging

2 |3000

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic