question

hackerp avatar image
hackerp asked

Read data from SmartShunt 500 A vía Modbus TCP using CerboGX

Hello, I have a Smart Shunt 500 connected to my Cerbo GX device. Is it possible to read the current from the Smart Shunt vía Modbus TCP?

Best Regards

cerbo gxSmartShuntModbus TCP
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
sebastia avatar image
sebastia answered ·

Try the .DCLOAD registers.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @HackerP

As @sebastia@phoenixone.co suggested it's either DC Load registers or .battery registers. What information are you looking to extract?

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/CCGX-Modbus-TCP-register-list-3.00.xlsx

2 |3000

sebastia avatar image
sebastia answered ·
Hello @matt1309. The Smart Shunt is configured as an Alternator Shunt and I would like to read its current.

The Unit ID is 226. I have tried to read from .battery, .alternator, .dcsource, .dcload but I get no answer. Have you tried this if it is possible?

1 comment
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·

Sorry @sebastia@phoenixone.co

My guess wouldve been Address 4101 on the alternator unit id.

Just to confirm on gx device when you go Settings->Services->Modbus TCP -> Available servers

The smart shunt comes under Unit ID 226 and the dbus path under it is com.victronenergy.aternator ? Is that correct?

That dbus path should at least confirm which section of modbus registers the data should be being posted to. ie for example mine is showing up as com.victronenergy.battery as my smart shunt is configured as a battery monitor

0 Likes 0 ·
rietzel avatar image
rietzel answered ·

Hallo zusammen,

Ich würde gerne die Werte des SmartShunt 500A über Modbus-TCP an meine Loxone Smarthome-Steuerung übertragen. Der Shunt ist über VE.Direct an Port 1 des Cerbo GX angeschlossen. In der CCGX-Modbus-TCP-register-list-3.10.xlsx finde ich leider nicht die notwendige Adresse für die Übertragung. Im Cerbo GX wird mir für den Shunt die VRM-Instanz 279 angezeigt. Dies sollte die Unit ID 226 sein. Ich würde gerne die Batteriespannung, den Ladestrom und die Leistung übertragen. Welche Modbus-TCP-Adressen haben diese Werte?

Danke für eure Hilfe.

2 comments
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·

Hi @Rietzel

Apologies i dont speak German, hopefully google translate can manage this.

Firstly check you have modbus TCP server enabled by going to

go Settings->Services->Modbus TCP on the Cerbo GX.

Once this has been enabled then go to available services and see what unit id the smart shunt is showing under and also note the dbus bath. If the smart shunt is configured as a batery monitor it should show up as com.victronenergy.battery

If you use the victron dbus register list then you should be able to find the registers you're looking for under the corresponding dbus path. Assuming it's com.victronenery.battery the addresses start around 258 onward.

I'm not familiar with Loxone but many home automation software can extract data from MQTT, this can be slightly more user friendly in my experience so you may want to look into utilising victrons buiilt in MQTT server instead of modbus.

0 Likes 0 ·
rietzel avatar image rietzel matt1309 commented ·

Hello matt1309,
Thanks for the quick help. Google Translate works well, I hope it translates my German correctly too.
“Assuming it is com.victronenery.battery, the addresses start at around 258.”
That was exactly the information I was missing. The transfer to the Loxone control now works.
Many thanks for your help.
Best regards, Dieter.

1 Like 1 ·