question

ppr avatar image
ppr asked

Fronius Ohmpilot in a Victron environment

Hello

I am rather new to Victron and a young user of Victron. Have my setup at home gathering everything together.
3 x Multiplus II 5000
1x MPPT RS 450/200
1x Cerbo GX
and a Modbus EM24 Smartmeter

My main question is I would love to use the Ohmpilot to heat up my boiler. But the question is if I somehow get this setup going via Modbus on the Cerbo GX. Or if I need something else to get it going.
Your help is very much appreciated. Many thanks, patrik

cerbo gxModbus TCPFronius
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
scraggs avatar image
scraggs answered ·

I have been discussing the same question with a victron supplier and you can use an ohmpilot in a grid attached setup because it works by the meter telling the ohmpilot what is being fed back, it won't work for off grid.
I was advised to use a MY-PV AC Thor which detects frequency shifting for off grid.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ppr avatar image ppr commented ·
Hi

Thank you for your answer. Does that mean you need the Fronius Smartmeter?
I have a Grid Attached setup.

I just read several threads telling me that My-PV AC Thor does not work as good as Ohmpilot. I dont know. Just reading all and all.

So in fact - how does the setup look like in this case? Ohmpilot, Fronius Smart Meter and all you need to do is connect Ohmpilot with the Smart meter?

0 Likes 0 ·
scraggs avatar image scraggs ppr commented ·
Yes you need the Fronius smart meter.

It did seem to be a fairly decent solution.

0 Likes 0 ·
cristimv avatar image
cristimv answered ·

I can also confirm...My_PV AC-Thor works better in a Victron system... I'm using the single phase version, 3kW

2 |3000

ppr avatar image
ppr answered ·

But no one has tried something like my plan is?
no one further experience …?

2 |3000

ppr avatar image
ppr answered ·

I can confirm, that a Ohmpilot can be added to a victron system with a coupled fronius ac inverter. All you need to this setup is a fronius smartmeter at the grid point.
For me perfect. Working like a charm. The fronius smartmeter cound the total amount (fronius and victron) going in and out and ohmpilot is using that as controller output.
So i can confirm, its working.

2 comments
2 |3000

cristimv avatar image cristimv commented ·

@ppr can you please share the settings of the Ohmpilot and the Fronius Inverter? I have also added an Ohmpilot to the installation, and I;m having troubles with it...either during the day when there is PV excess fed into the grid, the Ohmpilot is not heating up, or sometimes during the night is taking power from batteries to heat -up the water. Currently I have the following settings in my inverter:

- under Load Management tab the energy management priorities are set: 1. Ohmpilot, 2. Load management IO's

- under DNO Editor tab, Controlling priorities are set: 1. Controlling via Modbus, 2. Dynamic power reduction, 3. IO Control.

0 Likes 0 ·
ppr avatar image ppr cristimv commented ·

Hi

First of all; I guess in the solarweb of fronius you can see all the devices. Inverter, ohmpilot and most important the fronius smartmeter? I have my fronius sitting at AC-OUT.
The Fronius smartmeter is placed right on the front. Technically after the Smartmeter of my provider.
Important is, that you see the total amount of you fronius and victron.

If you see on the controll output a pos number, that is the amount what can be used.

1687286548991.png

1687286736368.png

I did not touch DNO. Smartmeter is placed at the grid feed-in point

Hope it helps.

0 Likes 0 ·
1687286548991.png (264.1 KiB)
1687286736368.png (107.8 KiB)