question

Bill avatar image
Bill asked

Looking for a Cerbo GX relay port connector?

I was looking at configuring relay port #1 to turn on a couple small 12v computer type fans for cooling the electrical bay based on the temp from a probe. That looked fairly simple and I configured it. But when I looked into hooking up the wires from the fan I found what looked like a port with three connections that probably needs a special connector based on its shape. What connector is that? I will need to purchase one (or two) so I can wire them in. Also I didn't see a pinout diagram, there are three pins, Positive, Negative & ?? What is the third one for, doubt its another ground/negative. I am hoping i can buy them somewhere.. traveling in Alaska at the moment and my existing thermostat the ran the fans went kaput.

cerbo gxRelay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

The connectors should be included:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wheKaU2_qw

The relay pins are labeled on Cerbo:

NO (Normally Open) / COM (common) / NC (normally closed).

So you use COM and either NO or NC, as needed.

It's not supplying power. Just open/closes a contact.

Check the Cerbo manual for the maximum voltages and currents for the relays.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bill avatar image Bill commented ·
Thanks for that pin out info. I will go back and see if I can find that in the newest manual I downloaded the other day to figure out how its used. It did say it had 12v power and up to 6 amps. The two fans are a total of .84 amps (.42 each) so the way I read the manual it would be fine powering them. Are you saying that it cannot and I need to find another relay for that little power?
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 Bill commented ·

Here is the online Cerbo GX manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/index-en.html

As I said, the relays are just on/off contacts (like a light switch, but turned on/off automatically). You must get power from somewhere else.

Also, for big loads, use something like a contactor (which can be turned on/off using that Cerbo relay).

0 Likes 0 ·
Bill avatar image Bill seb71 commented ·

I read the most current manual from Victron and I see no where in there that says it cannot power a device up to 6 amps on relay 1, and 1 amp on relay 2. The link shows the part of the manual I read the other day.

screen shot of cerbo gx manual

(5) In Cerbo GX hardware there are two relays. Currently, Relay 1 can be used for programming as an alarm relay, generator
start/stop, tank pump, temperature controlled relay or manual operation. Relay 2 is available for programming as a temperature
controlled relay or manual operation in the Relay menu of the GX (requires firmware 2.80 or higher)

Where does it say it cannot power a small device or that it can only be used with another relay. I would expect it cannot run a pump due to amprage requirements.

0 Likes 0 ·

You can power a device using that relay (while respecting those voltage and current limits), but you must supply that power from somewhere else.

A relay it is not a power supply. It is an on/off contact. It connects or disconnets a load (such as your 12V fan) from a power supply.

0 Likes 0 ·
Bill avatar image Bill seb71 commented ·
Oh sorry, now I get it. That power up to 6 amps can run thru that from somwhere else. PowerSource>GXrelay>Fans That makes sense. Sorry, I was a bit confused. Now I just need to find someone with an extra connector somewhere in Tok Ak or in the Yukon.. That should be close to impossible.
0 Likes 0 ·

Yes, you got it now.

Regarding the connectors: if you can't find the original ones (the original plugs), maybe you can find some female pins which fit directly on those relay pins. And use some heat shrink tube on them to avoid shorting (if there is no plug).

Something like this:

female.png

pin-case.jpg

pin-with-wire.jpg

Maybe the pins used in PCs for motherboard Front Panel header for instance fit (I haven't tried them).

0 Likes 0 ·
female.png (88.4 KiB)
pin-with-wire.jpg (563.4 KiB)
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

If you have lost them or they were not left by the installer there is some info in the thread below.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/81143/terminal-block-for-cerbo-gx.html

1 comment
2 |3000

Bill avatar image Bill commented ·
That thread only speaks to the terminal blocks. There is no actual Relay connector info except try to find an installer. I am in Tok Ak today and heading into the Yukon in the morning. Maybe I can find an installer in Whitehorse in a couple weeks. Bummer. Lots of dry camping between now and then. Mine appear to have been lost after installation a couple years back.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources