question

justinr avatar image
justinr asked

VRM giving wrong SOC battery reading - preventing proper system function

Hi. I'm a rural homeowner - not a technician, or even an enthusiast. So please forgive some ignorance and possible mis-use of terms/names. I do my best. I would really appreciate some advice. I tried to find a fix for the problem on the QandA here without success.

The problem - my VRM is reading a battery that should be (and I think in reality is) fully charged at 96-97%, as being at 45% SOC. And when it gets to 45%, it stops charging from the solar (imo, because it's in fact full) and sends any extra power to the grid. The battery only discharges 7% and then goes idle when the VRM reads 35% (but when I check the menus behind the colour read-out it says the battery is at 91%). When the VRM says the battery is on 45%, the menus say it is on 100%. It is the VRM which is wrong.

More detail:

I have a grid connected system with BYD batteries and the components shown in the photos (plus a Fronius inverter).

All was working well until 18 July (in the middle of a 3 week trip away). On 19 July I tried to check it remotely via VRM and got the following error message: "Installation too busy realtime data link disabled". Not a big problem I figured.

Returned home on 31 July and rebooted the system. Connection restored, but it wasn't connecting to the Fronius properly. Fronius connected on 2 August. That's when the problem described above seemed to start.

See images below. Image 1 and 2 were taken at the same time. Image 3 and 4 were taken at the same time. 5 and 6 are self-explanatory. All help much appreciated!

20230805-061535.jpg

20230805-061717.jpg

20230804-125006.jpg

20230804-125000.jpg

20230805-061949.jpg 20230804-124955.jpg

VRMSOCerror
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@JustinR

In system set up, what is the designated battery monitor - dont leave it on auto set it to the byd.

The system is controlled by the BYDs (external control) so the system is obeying the battery. Check CCL and DCL in the GX or vrm there.see if there are issues. Or in the GX and see if there are some modules offline.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

justinr avatar image justinr commented ·

" the designated battery monitor - dont leave it on auto set it to the byd."

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you - Alexandra!

Changing that setting solved the problem. Very happy.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Do you have a smart shunt in your system? Or any other shunt?

1 comment
2 |3000

justinr avatar image justinr commented ·
Hi Kevgermany - thanks for taking an interest. No smart shunt, or other shunt.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources