question

carpenike avatar image
carpenike asked

48v House -> 12v Chassis Battery Connection

Hi All,

I'm in the process of replacing the 12v AGM house battery setup in my motorhome with a 48v Lifepo4 setup along with Quattros. I've purchased 2x 48v-12v 30 amp Orions to provide 12v to the coach off of the 48v bank.

My question -- there is a toggle switch that connects the house battery to the chassis battery. Goal is that in the event the chassis battery is too low to start the engine you can "borrow" amps off the house batteries to get the system started. I know I cannot connect the 48v directly to that switch, but can I keep the 12v AGM batteries connected to the 12v side of the Orions either through that toggle switch or just directly?

Lithium Batteryorion dc-dcAGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Did you buy a 48v-12v converter ( power supply ) or a Smart Charger?
I doubt that you can leave the AGM Batteries connected to a 12 volt power supply.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

carpenike avatar image
carpenike answered ·

Just the orions.

Trickle charge will be handled by a separate small solar panel that runs to the roof. I’m just trying to understand if I should remove the switch entirely that allows the two 12v sides to be connected.

2 |3000

carpenike avatar image
carpenike answered ·

But to your point, what if I did a 12v to 12v battery charger and left it connected?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range