question

Neil De Almeida avatar image
Neil De Almeida asked

Multiplus problem

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-11 at 16.24.59.jpgWhatsApp Image 2023-07-11 at 16.24.46.jpgGood day.
First of all, i have no idea about power and how the whole system even works
I have a victron multipluy 24/1600/40.

It has been running a while, everything good. Got it connected to 2x 200 amp batteries.
For about a month now. My Power connecter that goes into the inverter randomly makes little spark sounds.

I took it in, the electrician opened the strange plug at the back and saw that some of the plastic was a bit burned. He cleared it. Its been holding for a month now. It started again.

What caught my attention was. The inverter would be on green(using the batteries) while the power was on in my house. Then randomly switches to charge for a few seconds then back to green for hours.

Not sure why they use these strange power connecters and not a Ketel plug.

I live in South Africa.

Much appreciated

Multiplus-IIpowerassistconnection issue
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Yes, those are "unique" AC power connectors.
Must be normal for your country?
What is your question?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

That has nothing to do with SA plugs, it is the standard connector on the compact multi - G-ST18i as per spec sheet.

0 Likes 0 ·
Neil De Almeida avatar image Neil De Almeida commented ·

How was wondering what the problem can be. It is not normal in the country. We usually use something like thisimages.jpg
The spark sounds. Then if its normal for the inverter to be green then go to charge continuously>

If you look at the first image of the first post you will see one of the holes are a bit burned (might be the sparks i hear)

There a way to convert this connecter to a normal plug like attached?

Thanks for your response

0 Likes 0 ·
images.jpg (5.4 KiB)
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

The rating for the IEC C13 (kettle plug) is 10A which is too low for a 16A device.

It sounds like your connector is not wired right. Not very familiar with the G-ST18i myself, the alternative is it isn't seated correctly. In any case, arcing is something that is loose and will generate heat like you saw.

I would get someone capable to make sure the connector is not just "cleaned" but rewired to a high standard. Hopefully it isn't damaged, requiring a new connector.

I wouldn't advise using it while this continues as it is a great way to start a fire and permanently damage the inverter.

1 comment
2 |3000

Appreciate it.

Thanks for the feedback. Lets hope it can be fixed easily

0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Could the weight of cable ( gravity ) + vibrations cause the connector to slowly pull out?

Add a strain relief?

1 comment
2 |3000

I use pretty thick cables. Also using cable ties. Think it might just be faulty. Taking in tmrw.

thanks for the help

0 Likes 0 ·
Neil De Almeida avatar image
Neil De Almeida answered ·

Any idea on why it is on green (using batteries) even if the power is on at my home.?
I have absoluutly no idea why its doing htis

2 |3000

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic