question

james-m avatar image
james-m asked

Unconventional generator charging a 48V battery bank, off-grid

Hi,

I am building a rather unconventional engine driven generator to charge a 48V 300Ah LiFePO4 battery bank. The generator will output three phase power at at 90 Vac line-to-line, 170 Hz. Electrical output power will be about 10kW at best efficiency point. Does anyone in the community have a good idea for how I might use this output to charge my battery bank? I am open to modifying stock equipment, or other unorthodox solutions.

Multiplus-IIMultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGeneratoroffgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I think, you must do the whole thing on your own. But LiFePO4 are risky.

I have build already a Buck-Inverter for my Hydrogenerator (4500W, Voc 190V, Vmpp 52,2V) und used a polyphase Buck-Inverter from Linear Technology using 8 phases/Inverter with each 50A max. And then the charging controller LTC400.

BUT I use SOPzS batteries with (currently) 2940Ah @24V. I will increase the capacity to 8x 915Ah. SOPzS batteries are much more tolerant.

Oh, I use a SmartShunt to control the Buck-Inverter.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

james-m avatar image james-m commented ·

Thank you for your response, and sorry for my late reply. I have made some progress on this project and have created a new question here with some more details: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/259708/unconventional-generator-charging-a-48v-battery-ba-1.html

I'm very interested in your bespoke polyphase buck-inverter. I considered a doing something similar, but I don't think I've got the necessary skill-set for it. Are you an electrical engineer or similar?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Rectify the 90 VAC, into ~120v DC, connect to three @ 3000W Solar Charge Controllers in parallel.

90 volts AC is at the low end of "normal" (USA) AC Input Voltage.
Victron has an AC input Charger = 90 Volts AC (minimum) or 90 Volts DC Input.
You could easily make 90 Volts DC.

WYE or Delta?
You could connect three "boost" autotransformers to get a higher / normal voltage.
Slightly reduced efficiency at 170hz.

1 comment
2 |3000

james-m avatar image james-m commented ·

Hi, thanks for your answer. Yes this is probably what I am going to do, but I have concerns about ripple current and filtering. I have created a new question with some more details now that I've made some more progress in the project. https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/259708/unconventional-generator-charging-a-48v-battery-ba-1.html

0 Likes 0 ·