question

nbo avatar image
nbo asked

Smart BMS CL 12/100 or Smart BMS 12/200

I am planning to Exchange the house batteries on our sailboat to lithium. To charge them from the alternator/start battery i want to use the Smart BMS CL 12/100 or the Smart 12/200

Accourding the specs both have an 100a alternator port. Only difference is the system+ port.

where it is not clear for me wat the advantage is?

Does the Smart BMS than also works as an Battery Protect for the lithium side so a additionel battery Protect is not requiered to shut of DC loads to prevent for over discharging.

The diagram in the marine booklet does also nog show a BP

If this assuption is correct it would safe connections and equipment which on a boat is always better.

img-0035.jpeg

ps. The intended AC-DC charger is the Phoenix Smart IP43. Other Solution is to build it with a small BMS and Orion Dc-Dc charger.

Lithium BatteryBMSPhoenix Smart Charger ip43
img-0035.jpeg (623.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Nbo,

Only difference is the system+ port. where it is not clear for me wat the advantage is?

The advantage is that you can connect loads and chargers directly to that port without the need for additional devices such as a BatteryProtect to switch the loads/chargers on or off (technically it's a built-in BatteryProtect)

Be aware that this counts only for chargers and loads connected directly to the System+ port. If you bypass the port, additional measures, such as a BatteryProtect, must be taken to protect the lithium battery.

See also the Things To Consider chapter in the manual that describes how loads and chargers are controlled, depending on the system design.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nbo avatar image nbo commented ·
Is this then the better way to go or do you prefer the loads and charchers connect and disconnect by a yellow wire and on/off function?
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ nbo commented ·

The advantage is obvious: less wiring effort and fewer devices involved contribute to simplicity (and is cheaper to buy), but in the end it comes down to your own preferences and the system itself.

0 Likes 0 ·
nbo avatar image nbo commented ·

1689064587324.png

Just to be 100% I also read the manual of the Lithium battery.

But here is a load/charge connection dotted drawn between charger, load and BMS

is this an optional connection as they are connected to the BMS system+ port?

0 Likes 0 ·
1689064587324.png (232.7 KiB)
nbo avatar image
nbo answered ·

Thank you Stefanie, I Will to for the BMS 12/200 to keep things simpel on the boat.

Only other question does the remote on/off switch replace also a Main battery Switch (on the house hold side) because i do not see any in one of the example diagrams.

3 comments
2 |3000

The answer is in the manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Smart_BMS_12-200/en/installation-and-configuration.html#UUID-d03af0d4-0f86-6796-fcf6-4f4333c0e356

where it says:

Remote on/off function:

This setting defines what is controlled by the Remote on/off terminals. The default is that it only disables Alternator and System+.

Options are:

Disable alternator & system+: Disable charging via the Alternator port and charging/discharging via the System+ port. The BMS functionality is retained.

Disable alternator only: Disable charging via the Alternator port. The BMS functionality is retained.

Switch everything off: Everything, including the BMS functions, is switched off. This option is suitable as an on/off switch for the system. Note that the BMS continues to consume energy from the battery to maintain the remote control function, albeit less than 0.01W. But this adds up over time and can completely drain the battery in the long run. Therefore, make sure that the battery is completely disconnected from the system if you leave it to its own for a longer period of time.

So if you want the system to be completely disconnected from the service battery, use a battery switch between the lithium battery and the LiON BATT+ input of the Smart BMS. Then only the self-consumption of the battery remains, which is very low.

0 Likes 0 ·
nbo avatar image nbo Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

thank you for putting in more detail.

So the BMS gets its operation power from the lithium service side and not from the starter/alternator side?

as mentioned in other topics

Which is good because then I can create a network at first whiteout the alternator connected. And just with one 230v charger on the system+ (where the additional question raises if the yellow relais connection shutdown the charger completely instead of disconnecting the system+)?

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ nbo commented ·

The Smart BMS 12-200 is/was always powered by the lithium battery, unlike the Smart BMS CL 12-100 where older batches are powered by the starter battery (see manual).

To disconnect loads/chargers which are not connected to the system+ port, use the load/charge disconnect ports as described in the manual. If your AC charger does not have a remote on/off, use a BatteryProtect.

0 Likes 0 ·
big-ste avatar image
big-ste answered ·

Does the CL 12/100 still disconnect the charge, if the the battery temperature drops below 5c

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@Big Ste With Victron Smart Lithium Batteries, the BMS will protect the battery from charging at low temps, and high temps.

smart-bms-cl-12-100.png

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic