question

jsheehan avatar image
jsheehan asked

Can Weak AC on Multiplus II cause appliances to break?

I have a 5.3kva generator, Multiplus 48/5000, 3 x Pylontech us3000c batteries. I have had to use the Weak AC option to use my generator. When the generator is on and charging the batteries, my battery is getting around 2350watts, my generator is producing around 2650watts and my AC loads keep flunctuating. When I turn a light on it flickers, is it best to not use appliances and lights when the generator is on? It’s frustrating because I want to be able to use everything in my cabin while the generator is on.

Multiplus-IIGeneratorPylontech
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Graham Owens avatar image Graham Owens commented ·

Your setup sounds very much like mine, with the same issues. When charging your appliances are running directly from the generator due to the transfer switch in the multi. Many of my appliances act very strange whilst charging from the generator. We could not come up with a good solution over the past few years, so we recently bought another load of panels in the hope we don't need to run the generator this winter.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Jsheehan

If you switch the inverter to charger only while doing the same thing, does the situation change?

The other thing you can do is lower the grid charge amps. It is possible the frequency and voltage regulator on the generator can't handle the load.

What size generator do you have? Have you accounted for derating on it for altitude etc.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I have now tested several generators and nearly all (exactly the ones I got from building shops) do not deliver you expect. Do not use the VA of the generator but instead use the continuous W it can deliver and do NOT use it MORE then 60%.

I had a Nutool AG2500 with 2200VA and 2000W continuous power and connected to my MultiPlus-II 24/5000 it was not able to deliver more then 1400W.

However, also the AVR is an issue.

Best is to use a professional generator which does not use an AVR. However, also here you can not use the full power. The rented SDMO HX6000 (6000VA and 4800W) had problems when I was charging my batteries trough the MultiPlus-II 24/5000 when it gaved a load of 3800-3900W on the Generator, but the SDMO without AVR is running much more smoothlier then the cheap China cracker from the building shops (if you consider 700€ cheap for a 3000VA)

P.S.: My Nutool AG2500 was falling apart after 1200 hours of use and was around 350€.

2 |3000