question

wojciech-kasperek avatar image
wojciech-kasperek asked

energymeter from mqtt topics

Hi,

i am trying to use my energy meter readings in venus os but this is zamel MEW-01 which has no integration with venus os.

Is it possible to build a virtual energy meter on venus os using mqtt themes subscribed by mew-01?

So far i have cloned a few mqtt themes from my home mqtt broker by adding to mosquito.conf:

"

connection bridge-abcd

address 192.168.5.3:1883

topic supla/# in

topic homeassistant/sensor/supla/# in

#topic supla/# out

#topic homeassistant/sensor/supla/# out

remote_username LOGIN

remote_password PASSWORD

"

Has anyone done it?

Venus OSEnergy MeterMQTTmodifications
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @Wojciech Kasperek

There are a few community made custom drivers that have done similar with different energy meters. One of the most popular at the moment is shelly energy meter custom driver.

GitHub - fabian-lauer/dbus-shelly-3em-smartmeter: Integrate Shelly 3EM smart meter into Victron Energies Venus OS

You may be able to use the above link as a starting point for tweaking the data to come from your energy meter. I'm not familiar with the brand you mention however if it has an API or then you should be able to just tweak the python code to get the relevant information from your meters api rather than shelly

(the functions call _getShellyStatusUrl and _getShellyData are the ones you'd need to start with tweaking from having a quick scan, you may also need to add some info to meter_data or remove dbusservice lines for info you dont have from your meter).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Energy Meter Selection Guide

Victron MQTT readme

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.