question

ee21 avatar image
ee21 asked

New Ethernet connected energy meter for use with Venus 2.60?

Very interested in getting a Carlo Gavazi meter now they support Ethernet.. Couple questions for the community however, maybe @mvader (Victron Energy) in particular.. The Victron Release Notes specify (upcoming) compatibility with a specific model, "EM24DIN AV2 3X E1 X" - this is one of two models that use ethernet from what I can tell via their product page. My question is, will the AV5 model work, which uses Current Transformers allowing measurements over 65A? Specifically I am referring to model "EM24DIN AV5 3X E1 X"?

Second question, I see they now have wireless models, using "Wireless M-Bus", such as "EM24DIN AV5 3X W1 I X".. Will those units work too?

And last question, I saw in the known bugs, "the new Ethernet-connected energy meters can't be configured; this will be fixed soon." - does this mean they simply cannot be made to work yet until official release? Or what is the extent of this limitation?

Venus OSEnergy Meter
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bart-champagne avatar image bart-champagne commented ·

I'm replying to this already old question to keep info on the Ethernet meters on the same page.

On this page (https://www.victronenergy.com/live/energy-meters:em24-eth) I've found that the Carlo Gavazzi EM24DIN AV2 3X E1 X and EM24DIN AV5 3X E1 X meters are supported, but those are non-MID.

My question: are the MID ethernet meters EM24DIN AV2/5 3X E1 PFA/B also supported by GW devices ?

Also: how many ethernet energy meters are supported by the GX devices ?
For Modbus this seems to be two, but does this limitation also applies to Ethernet meters ?

Bart

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi,

> will the AV5 model work, which uses Current Transformers allowing measurements over 65A? Specifically I am referring to model "EM24DIN AV5 3X E1 X"?

I dont know; the simplest way to find out is to try. We might look into it ourselves at some point, but at this very moment its not a priority.

> Second question, I see they now have wireless models, using "Wireless M-Bus", such as "EM24DIN AV5 3X W1 I X".. Will those units work too?

I don’t think so, our devices dont have a wireless M bus receiver, and also I do not know if the data interval of wireless M bus is low enough (several times a second, preferably four times a second or more).

> And last question, I saw in the known bugs, "the new Ethernet-connected energy meters can't be configured; this be fixed soon." - does this mean they simply cannot be made to work yet until official release? Or what is the extent of this limitation?

most likely that you cant configure them until we release a beta firmware that (re-)adds the configuration. Maybe something works with the default configuration (I’d expect it to) but I dont know what the default configuration is: most effective way to find out is to test and try :-)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.