question

jurjenhoekstra avatar image
jurjenhoekstra asked

Quattro 24/8000 in undefined state

I have a question about the Victron Quattro which at a certain point becomes in an undefined state (Active AC input disconnected).

I have a setup on board of my yacht, where the stop/start generator functionality of the GX is used to activate a relay on the Quattro, which then either switches on or off the shore power. In an ideal situation there is a enough energy coming from the solar panels to keep everything running, but I have programmed in the start/stop function of the generator on the GX, that if there is a power draw of more then 800 W for 10 seconds, the shore power switches on (as to not to deplete the batteries unnecessary) and remains on for 15 minutes. Also when SOC is less then 60 %, also the shore power kicks in till batteries are back at 90 % (it is in detail explained in this long thread: Can GX generator start/stop feature control AC in of Quattro? - Victron Community (victronenergy.com)).

We have been on the yacht several weekends now with lots of sun. So sufficient power coming from the solar panels and if I switch on the coffee machine, the GX causes the shore power to kick in. It will continue to do this for a few times, but at some point in time, the Quattro does NOT switch on the shore power. I can see in the Remote Console of the GX, that the generator function is working, but the shore power does not kick in. After I reset the Quattro in Remote Console, it works again. Also if I have not used any power hungry equipment for several hours the Quattro goes in this 'undefined' state. It will only come out this 'undefined' state after the reset of the Quattro.

I have looked at several variables if they might influence the state of the Quattro, but so far cannot find any. I looked at AES, DC input low shutdown, AC low disconnect, etc. I also looked at all the details available of the Quattro through the Remote console (alarm status, alarm setup, firmware version, MK2 version, etc.

I have studied the community a bit more and found out now that this problem has been reported before and there does not seem to be a solution. It is all about the Active AC input disconnected.

Anyone any thoughts?? Victron staff?

victron products
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@jurjenhoekstra

There is a possibility that the inverter is unhappy with the connection to shore.

It will try to connect and then reject it. I have seen when there are quite a few attempts made to synchronise, it stops. It is likely that is when the undefined state appears.

So possibly check the wiring/connections to shore.

0 Likes 0 ·
jurjenhoekstra avatar image jurjenhoekstra Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Hello Alaxandra, thanks for your reply. I went to the boat yesterday and checked all the cabling from shore to quattro. No issues. How can I see that it makes attempts to synchronise? Should there not be an error code somewhere?
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
jurjenhoekstra avatar image
jurjenhoekstra answered ·

After going through more similar threads on the community, I tried the suggestion to switch Dynamic current limiter on and switch the UPS function off. Switching off the UPS function did the trick. Now I have no more issues and the Quattro switches every time to shore power when I use more then 800 W for 10 seconds. It does not go in an undefined state anymore.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic