question

Stormy R. avatar image
Stormy R. asked

SOLVED: Victron Multiplus 2 Generator AutoStart – Request for Explanation of Greater Nuance

Multiplus 2 48/5000. 2 units connected in split phase.

Many Victron products come with a relay that can be used for autostarting/stopping a generator under certain user programmable conditions. Victron provides pretty thorough information about the software side of the autostart, how to enable or disable the various features associated with the autostart relay to make it behave in the desired fashion.

On the wiring end, I find the literature I’ve been able to locate lacking. This is perhaps because, it seems to me, that in electrical documentation there is not much redundancy. If it can be deduced from the inclusion of a symbol in the corner of the page it is not explicitly stated.

I am attempting to pick out the components I need to design a relay system for my portable generator. I am using a Westinghouse WGEN12000c (which comes with auto choke and remote & electric start). I realize that this relay on the Multiplus 2 is not exactly plug and play and usually requires some additional hardware and wiring to communicate the necessary message to the generator. I have figured out which wires in my generator need to be connected or disconnected and in what sequence within my generator to start or stop it. So that’s 1/3 of the key. Another 1/3rd will be picking out the appropriate relays and wiring design. And the last 1/3 is what I am asking for help with today.

I don’t understand what it is that the Autostart relay on the Multiplus 2 DOES do. This is the 1/3 of the key I need to unlock this feature. I understand what message my generator needs to hear. I’m familiar with some of the tools (relays, time delay, latching relays, splicing wires, etc), that will need to be applied in between the generator and the Multiplus 2 unit to interpret what the Multiplus is going to say into what the generator needs to hear. What I do not understand is what the Multiplus 2 WILL say,

The Multiplus 2 relay have three terminals. NO, NC, and COM. If I hook up three wires, one to each terminal, is the Multiplus going to send electricity through some or all of these wires? Will it be 48volt DC from the battery, or 120V AC already converted from the battery? What amperage? Is it going to be constant power, or momentary power?

How does this relay behave when the Multiplus is sending the start signal? How is it behaving when it is sending the stop signal? I cant even begin to pick out my relays until I know what voltage the coil will need to be and its compatibility with the impulse current. If its going to be a continuous current, that would dictate a different kind of relay I’ll need than if it will be just a few moments of power.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Automatic_Generator_start-stop/Automatic_Generator_start_stop-en.pdf

This is the relevant documentation I have on the Autostart. Everything else I have found is either about software programming or the brief information provided is contained within this manual. Although I am only asking for assistance understanding what messages the Multiplus 2 itself is capable of sending, I will include a link to my generator manual just in case for some reason I havent predicted it is relevant or helpful

https://cdn.westinghouseoutdoorpower.com/owners_manuals/WGen12000c_manual_web.pdf

EDIT: relay-rating.jpg

Multiplus-IIwiringRelaygenerator auto start
relay-rating.jpg (21.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

the relay is a simple on off Relay.

when closed then Com and NO and connected

when Open then com and NC and connected

the relay is closed when autostart is actived and Com and NO stay closed untill autostart stop is triggered then Com and NC are connected

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stormy R. avatar image Stormy R. commented ·

Okay, so I understand now that the Multiplus 2 doesnt send any power to those terminals, just opens and closes the contacts. There must be some kind of voltage and amp rating for the relay though? If I'm going to open and close a circuit with it there must be some kind of rating for the current that can run through the closed circuit I use it to create?

0 Likes 0 ·
lklmenterprises avatar image lklmenterprises Stormy R. commented ·
Stormy - Most common New Generator sets that have Wired/Remote start will be such that the Key or even Remote trigger that is engaging the Solenoid and Starter is probably relayed locally anyway. Meaning the current passing through the Key or the Remote trigger circuit is quite low - hence also why Victron only include a Low current unit, as the intention is Not to use the Relay to pass the Starter Motor current itself.

Either way there is really nothing stopping you adding in your own circuit anyway, i.e. from the Victron - just attach a low voltage circuit such as a latching gate, or even Arduino/Pi which itself triggers your own Off the shelf heavier duty relay (or mosfet) then use that to pass to your Generator's start mechanism.

0 Likes 0 ·