question

returnofthemac avatar image
returnofthemac asked

Many Victron units but which Temperature input should I use

Hi, I have a Lynx Distribution system with Lynx Shunt that has a Battery temp sensor input a MP-II also with a Battery Temp Sensor input, Smart Solar MPPT and a Cerbo GX. I am connecting the Lynx, Smart Solar and GX together with VE Can and the MultiPlus to the Cerbo GX with VE Bus, The Cerbo obviously has its 4 temp inputs.

So the question is do I have to connect up multiple Battery Temp sensors as I have 3 sent with the differing devices or can I just connect one? And if so which one do I connect up?

Multiplus-IIcerbo gxbatteryTemperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

In my system, for battery temperature I am using the temperature sensor connected to the SmartShunt.

In addition, I connected the temperature sensor which came with MultiPlus II to Cerbo GX to monitor room temperature.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

portsample avatar image portsample commented ·
I like this. The Lynx shunt is also closest to the batteries, and a room temp monitor could be handy as well. Follow-up question: does polarity of the temp sensor leads matter when connecting to the Cerbo? A cursory read of the docs produced no clear answer.
0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell portsample commented ·
@portsample The polarity matters, that is why there is a red and black cable, on the Cerbo for example the connections are labelled data and ground, black to ground.
0 Likes 0 ·
portsample avatar image portsample pwfarnell commented ·

I am not seeing polarity indicators on the Cerbo GX connections. However Victron photo shows red (+) in the outermost row, and black (-) in the rear.cerboconnect.png

0 Likes 0 ·
cerboconnect.png (1.8 MiB)
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ portsample commented ·
It's marked on the front of the Cerbo. Yes red is away from the wall and black is in the corresponding wall side socket.
0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell portsample commented ·

They usually do, have a look on the front cover, here is mine.

screenshot-20240303-185530.png

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Returnofthemac

You only need one, but see the DVCC section of the Cerbo manual for how to share it with the other devices that may need it. They're not necessarily all the same, so ensure you use the right one for the device it's connected to.

I chose the Multiplus one, close to the batteries usually..

2 |3000