question

william-gagnon avatar image
william-gagnon asked

Connectivity issue— humanitarian medical aid project

Hello,

I am in South Sudan on a humanitarian medical aid project. Internet is about 2.5 kbps. The solar system is feeding a hospital and an operating theater here. I’m not sure what to do— I really appreciate your help! The bush plane leaves on Tuesday and I have until then to solve the issue.

I am trying to connect our Cerbo to the internet— it was connected 3 months ago, but now it doesn’t connect to the internet anymore. I’m not sure why— I don’t think the system has been changed. I have a bunch of other issues that I want to fix but connecting to the internet + upgrading the firmwares I think might solve some of them.

Here is what I know :

• Bluetooth won’t allow to connect to my VictronConnect on my phone— I tried the reset button on the Cerbo. I am able to connect to the chargers through Bluetooth and I see all of them on my phone— just not the Cerbo.
  • Wifi is finicky. I couldn’t see the networks for a while— nothing was happening when I clicked the wifi window— but at some point I realized that the touchscreen usb cable was connecting into a non-energy usb port. I switched that to the energized one and then I could start seeing the wifi networks. I was able to input the password. It showed “connecting” for a little while and then it failed. They come on and off for some reason.
  • I tried plugging an ethernet cable, which worked (I think ) but then when I hit “upgrade firmware” it shows an error message again. The internet is SUPER slow. Maybe it’s just unable to download anything, and then thinks there is no internet so it fails?
  • I am trying to download the firmware update and put it on a usb stick, but here on this internet connection I still have 10 hours to go… 90 mb
  • I saw somewhere that the hdmi port might be interfering with the wifi... I ended up unplugging the screen but still couldn't connect;
  • I was able to upgrade the firmware for all the chargers (we have 5)— maybe because I was just in another project and I had the firmware downloaded on my phone? Anyway it worked.

I would really appreciate your help. We are running a rural hospital here and we have to fly in fuel at €2.20/L, and I really hate our donors’ money being used in this way... The bigger issue is the generator starting and stopping at the wrong time— we need to be able to do remote monitoring.

There are a lot of other issues at the moment— i.e. some of the chargers indicating a 0W charging input despite being at full sun here but I feel like successfully upgrading the firmware is step #1.

Looking forward to hear back from you

All the best

William

Bluetoothwifi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@William Gagnon

The Bluetooth on the cerbo shuts off when the unit reaches 50°C. It is mentioned in the manual. Check that the cerbo isnt getting glitchy because it is running hot.

Use the cerbos own wifi hostpot if needed instead to use the remote console. Use an external wifi antenna if your router is not in the same room or near to the cerbo.

Set reboot on no contact on the cerbo to help resolve internet connectivity issues. Longer logging times and use a usb for storing logs.

Update with an sd/usb (as you are doing) card not the internet because the internet is dodgy. (Easy to prepare one in town and take it with you.) Don't update unless you are doing the whole system or you need newer features. Leave auto updates off.

Make sure the date and time zone is set correctly on the cerbo.

Always make sure your app and tools are up to date.

0w on the mppt usually indicates pv reverse polarity. Or bad connection to solar.

Can't help much with remote monitoring if internet is an issue.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

william-gagnon avatar image william-gagnon commented ·
Thank you so much for the quick response— I thought this was a shot in the dark. You rock @Alexandra

I was able to do the firmware upgrade with a USB stick. v3.0 running now.

Now there is just no bluetooth option at all in the settings menu, and the bluetooth light on the Cerbo doesn't come on.

External wifi antenna sounds like a good idea but we don't have that here and the nearest city is a 90 min bush plane ride away, but I don't think they would have that there either— Juba, the capital. I think there are about 10 ATMs in total in the capital, to give you an idea.

It frequently gets to 40°C in here, so add the heat from the inverters and the diesel generator running in the room next door + the batteries... I wouldn't be surprised if it was a temperature issue, especially that it failed without apparent reason. Once it failed, is there a reboot or is it dead?

Wifi still appears with even a signal strength indicator (29%) but it won't connect. The wifi router is about 20 m away and the only thing separating it from the Cerbo is the steel sheating of the walls. My phone gets great signal in there.

Date and time set correctly, my app is up to date...

Why would the bluetooth function disappear from the settings menu now?

Thank you so much again!

William

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ william-gagnon commented ·

@William Gagnon

All our bushy installs have their own air con and for the ones who are able - satellite links for internet.

Heat is the enemy here.

Its means derating especially on inerter output.

Battery lifespan is atrocious. (Lithiums theses days on some brands operating temperature can shorten and void warranty).

The bluetooth is definitely an issue and you do have hot operating conditions. its not dead, if it cools down it will restart. We don't use it at all unless there is an external dongle or the room has air con. It is less useful than the internal hotspot anyway, so dont get too hung up on it.

I hear you about supply. We order stuff in usually for the extras. Takes time but what else can you do?

The WiFi needs closer to 55 - 60% to make an initial connection to the router.

The cerbo is a computer at the end of the day.

0 Likes 0 ·
william-gagnon avatar image
william-gagnon answered ·

Ok. Thank you Alexandra!

I'll have a wifi antenna ordered. We're replacing the batteries. I'll recommend an AC, but that means also a new building with insulation lol. Oh well!

We live and we learn!

Thank you very much Alexandra :)

William

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect bluetooth troubleshooting guide