question

derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas asked

Change in vrm behavior

I realize this may be related to the recent issues with vrm, but just in case it's not I'm putting this out here.

Cerbo is set to report every 15 minutes. Before Mondays issues @ vrm I have always been able to zoom in on graphs on the advanced page and see minute by minute data. Now when I zoom in on a graph I am only seeing the data @ the 15 minute interval with a straight line in between.

screenshot-20230525-085751.png

vrm advanced
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
derrick thomas answered ·

I downloaded the data from vrm and went back and found when the data logging behavior changed. I can clearly see on 5/15/23 the moment the logging changed from continuous to about 15 minutes or so between. Coincidentally I have the cerbo setup to send data to vrm every 15 minutes. It seems like maybe the cerbo is not properly logging data in between the 15 minutes, and maybe the data on the vrm history is just the data reported at the time of the upload, but no stored data is being transfered from the cerbo. Full disclosure I have no idea what I'm talking about, just a shot in the dark. I have reboot the cerbo but the behavior remains the same. I went back and checked event logs and there were no firmware updates performed around that time.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Any ideas?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Try changing the interval to 1 minute and seeing if that gets you the 1 minute interval data.

2 |3000

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) I already tried changing it to 10 minutes and the data interval on vrm seems to follow the reporting interval from the cerbo. Somehow the data between uploads is lost or not being sent. If I have vrm open and realtime active then it reports in real time. If I download the spreadsheet data from vrm there is no data between the 15 or 10 minute reporting intervals. I will switch to one minute interval as you suggested but my suspicion is that the uploads will show data at the 1 minute intervals, but there is no data in between the upload intervals. This is going to make it difficult to do any troubleshooting if I end up having any system troubles.

2 comments
2 |3000

We only offer 1 minute as the highest resolution data recording on VRM.

The real-time is streamed while you’re watching it in the dashboard, but not saved.

If you want to record higher resolution (per second or so) data - you will need to set up grafana and provide the storage space - it can get quite large at that resolution (many GB / month)

In most cases, what is provided by VRM is enough for me to troubleshoot issues.

The data between the datapoints is stored as a maximum and minimum, you can enable that max/min view by clicking on the cog in the top right of the widget and enabling it.

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Ok, understood that data logging is only up to the minute unless connected to vrm and live streaming. I have changed the vrm interval to one minute. That still doesn't explain what is going on though. Interval has been set to 15 minutes since day one, and I have always been able to go back to vrm and zoom down to the minute. This behavior changed on 5/15, from that time forward I can only zoom in to the 15 minute data points.

By leaving the interval set to report at one minute intervals is that going to increase system load or network data load? What are the implications of doing this long term?

0 Likes 0 ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) I have also inserted a sd card and it has switched to external storage. No improvement.

Edit to add:

I apologize, I hadn't realized that remote support had been disabled. It is now enabled if you or one of the others on the team needs to take a look under the hood.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic