question

xmd avatar image
xmd asked

Understanding the Phoenix VE.Direct On/Off/Eco/Remote/Bluetooth modes

I have a Phonix VE.Direct 12/800 just installed in my 12V RV system, and I'm trying to understand the interactions between all the modes.

The inverter has a physical switch with 3 positions: Off, On, Eco

There is also an (optional) Remote switch with 2 positions: On, Off

The VE Direct bluetooth smart dongle offers 3 modes: Off, On, Eco

3 x 2 x 3 = 18 possible combinations.

How do they interact?

From testing, if the inverter is ON, I can use bluetooth to set it to Off or Eco. This is an interesting state, however, as "off" is not really "off": the bluetooth dongle still has power, and I can turn it back to "On" using bluetooth.

My question: In this state (when the physical power switch is "On" but I've used bluetooth to switch the inverter "Off") what is the idle power draw?

Phoenix InverterVE.DirectVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi XMD

As I dont have that unit I cant give you the Answer. and even if I did I would have to put a amp meter in the line myself as well to get the readings.

but as you do have it, put a amp meter in line with the battery feed and test it yourself its not that hard.

in relation to the how the switches work I would presume its the last one that you used would take priority. but what ever reality is testing will only tell

Sorry to be so Blunt, however I dont work for victron and am only helping out from time to time,

so Thats my answer anyway .

Others maybe able to give you more information, if they have a unit themselves

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

xmd avatar image
xmd answered ·

Thanks, Paul - I was hoping this was all documented somewhere, but if not, I'm happy to do some sleuthing.

I have a clamp-on DC ammeter but I suspect it doesn't have a fine enough resolution to detect 1W vs 5W.

My multimeter has a 10A setting, but I'm a little worried about the inverter inrush current blowing up the meter. I think this should work: Turn on inverter (while connected to battery), connect multimeter in parallel, then disconnect battery, leaving only the multimeter connected. In theory that shouldn't blow up my multimeter. We'll see!

2 |3000

xmd avatar image
xmd answered ·

I did some testing today, and was able to use my clamp-on DC ammeter so it was quite easy.

When the switch is ON, the unit pulls about 0.5-0.8 A which roughly matches the specifciations which claim 6.5W idle for the 12/800 model.

When the switch is ON, but I've used bluetooth to turn the inverter OFF, then it pulls only 0.05A (or about 0.6W). In this mode, bluetooth remains active, so it's easy to switch the inverter on/off using my smartphone.

Conclusion: having the inverter switched ON, but turned OFF using Bluetooth is a mode that has some appeal. Since the idle draw is less than 1 watt, it would take over a month to drain a typical 100AH house battery.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

VE.Direct protocol FAQ

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic