question

Herve RV Nizard avatar image
Herve RV Nizard asked

Multiplus II - GX . Wifi connection

Good day to all . Just received a Multiplus II 48-5000-40 GX to install . I thought the previous ones were coming with a little antenna to connect to the top . But anyway, it seems this one does NOT connect to a wifi network UNLESS I add a wifi module ? Does this unit REQUIRE such a wifi module ? Thanks for the update from those who know ! P.S. Came with a "regular / Not GX" manual !

Multiplus-IIgx devicewifi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Are you sure you received a gx version? They all natively support wifi, no external antennas that I am aware of.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Herve RV Nizard avatar image Herve RV Nizard commented ·
yes . Am sure .

0 Likes 0 ·
daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@Herve RV Nizard As @nickdb said the GX unit has built in wifi easily identified by the screen built into the multiplus unit as only the GX multiplus units have this. There is a label to the lefthandside under the black panel that say wifi and has the QR code if yours does not have these then it is a normal multiplus and requires a GX if you want to see its goodies ;-) hope this helps?

6 comments
2 |3000

The problem is not whether the unit is a GX or not . It is . It has the screen , and all the GX ports . What I am asking for is whether these now need ABSOLUTELY a usb wifi dongle to catch a wifi network for the GX . I have installed a few of these , most of the time hardwired / Rthernet so no such issue . this time I need to connect to a wifi signal and it does NOT connect UNTIL I put a wifi dongle . My concern is that I had anticipated it would NOT need the dongle , so I could use the unique usb port for the BMV (ve direct to usb) and the Ve direct port for the MPPT.
0 Likes 0 ·
daza avatar image daza Herve RV Nizard commented ·
Ok so it’s a GX it has built in wifi! No dongle needed as you will be able to see from the wifi key that is under the black metal cover left hand side.
0 Likes 0 ·
Herve RV Nizard avatar image Herve RV Nizard daza commented ·
Well, mine does not connect . Isn't the wifi key you are reffering to the "key" needed to connect to the GX 's own wifi network by browsing the 172.24.24.1 ? What I am trying to do is connect my GX device to the house's wifi network full time to monitor the system on VRM .
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Herve RV Nizard commented ·

@Herve RV Nizard its probably best to consult the manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
Herve RV Nizard avatar image Herve RV Nizard klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
FYI

The inverter came with a generic Multiplus II ( NOt GX) manual

I downloaded the GX manual online

I don't see anything about it's connection to wifi .

So if you want to help, which is what I like and expect on this forums, please give me the answer if you know it . If not, no need to reply .

-1 Like -1 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Herve RV Nizard commented ·
@Herve RV Nizard I gave a link to the manual right at the spot for "Accessing the GX".

It even has pictures and a video for guidance.

RTFM, because no one is going to re-write it verbatim in a post.

2 Likes 2 ·
Herve RV Nizard answered ·

It´s nice of you but the link you sent is for a cerbo gx. The problem i have here is for a multiplus gx. I have installed 46 victron systems in total. Mistly with CCGX , Venus, Octo and more recently Cerbo Gx and Cerbo S- GX . Only installed a few Multi II GX and all via ethernet for the cinnection to the wifi. THese multiplus GX are different from a cerbo.

Anyway. Mine does not connect to wifi without a wifi usb adaptor.

When connected, it immediately disconnects when I remove the usb wifi adaptor ! And as mentioned , I would need to keep this unique usb port for a ve direct to usb for a bmv.

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@Herve RV Nizard pls check the sticker on your multi.

multi-gx-wifi.png

You should be able to scan for wifi on your phone, and then connect to the wireless access point of the gx. Password highlighted. This will give you access to remote console.

Pls confirm your phone does not show a wifi "venus HQxx"

0 Likes 0 ·
multi-gx-wifi.png (1.8 MiB)
Herve RV Nizard answered ·

Thanks again. I have no difficulty accessing the remote console. When in it, i set the wifi to have the gx connect to the house´s wifi signal.

When I install a usb wifi dongle , like we were doing on the old CCGX , it works perfectly. It´s currently connected and I see this installation on my VRM.

My problem is that , without this wifi USB device , like I would do on a Cerbo who does not need it, i immediately loose the cinnection to the wifi network . It works perfectly as well when connected with a Ve bus cable to a router from the intranet port. All tested at our solar lab. But this system is to be installed in a remote off grid place where the wifi comes from a shared wifi from a phone.

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

The GX can only connect to a 2.4ghz wifi network. Your wifi might only be set to 5ghz.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks . Interesting and most probably the case. Will check.
0 Likes 0 ·