question

diegotam avatar image
diegotam asked

how to get the multiplus to know SOC from smart shunt?

Hello everyone,

Let me describe first my installation that sits on my camper van.

lifepo4 bank of 304Ah cells at 24V

Multiplus II 24/3000/70 connected with the MK3 USB adapter

Smart shunt battery monitor

MPPT's and Orion DC-DC chargers

everything wired up to Venus OS large on RPi

In Venus OS the Smart Shunt is set as main battery monitor in the "System setup" section.

Soooo...Is there a way to get the multiplus to know the SOC mesured by the smart shunt?

I need it to control the ralay of AC out 2 based on SOC for less important load such as A/C unit and water heater, so I can run those loads only when the battery is over 80% SOC for example. I'm doing this with the internal assistant configuration of the multiplus.

I didn't find this specific answer other than old threads that refers to old venus os versions.

I'm aware of the others method to achieve the same results like using relay output on venus os wired to aux input on multiplus or more hardware havy like not using at all ac out 2 and using a contactor wired to a venus os ralay...I don't want to "waste" a ralay on venus os. I need them all for ohters applications.

img-2832.png

Multiplus-IISmartShuntSOCknowledge base
img-2832.png (333.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You need to enable the battery monitor of the MultiPlus in VE.config.

1684081943484.png

1684081943484.png (87.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

diegotam avatar image
diegotam answered ·

Some more screen shot...img-2833.png

img-2834.png

img-2833.png (363.7 KiB)
img-2834.png (434.0 KiB)
2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

I disagree with @Matthias Lange - DE, but that is usually dangerous.

The MP battery monitor won't see anything coming from any of your chargers.

Assuming everything is correctly connected to the GX:

Enable DVCC

Enable SVS and SCS. If a temperature sensor is included on the smartshunt, enable STS and specify the temp sensor.

12 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

You have to enable the battery monitor of the MP to use the SOC for assistant programming.

The SOC of the MP internal battery monitor is synchronized with the SOC from the SmartShunt via the GX device, but the internal battery monitor has to be enabled for that.

1684083552827.png

3 Likes 3 ·
1684083552827.png (11.5 KiB)
snoobler avatar image snoobler Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
When I disagree, I always learn something! :)
1 Like 1 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ snoobler commented ·

That's what the community is for. :D

Some time ago there was an option in the GX device "synchronize SOC over VE.Bus" or something like that.
But that has been changed to a default behavior at some point.

1 Like 1 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ snoobler commented ·

@snoobler@Matthias Lange - DE

Disagreements are the sign of a healthy discussion. Couple of months ago I queried just this particular SOC point with the higher powers. Daniel Boekel (L3 support) replied essentially that the SOC selected in the GX is passed across to the VEBus, regardless of DVCC status. And you can disable the internal VEbus monitor too.

So of course I tested it by adding in an SOC overrider to an Assistant series. Worked so well I left it there.

The little thing that was throwing me was this selection in Programmable Relay Asst..1684118389919.pngSeems the 'Internal battery monitor' thing is a throwback to earlier times, and shouldn't be there.

1 Like 1 ·
1684118389919.png (7.7 KiB)
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ snoobler commented ·

@DIEGOTAM dont forget to enable "Synchronize VE.Bus Soc with Battery". System > system setup > enable.

ac-input-4.png

0 Likes 0 ·
ac-input-4.png (70.1 KiB)
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
That's nothing you can change.
0 Likes 0 ·
mcdees84 avatar image mcdees84 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
@Matthias Lange - DE , do I NEED a GX device to make the MP SOC synchronize with the Smart Shunt's SOC? I enabled the battery monitor on the MP via MK3 dongle - but the MP doesn't seem to synchronize with the Smart Shunt SOC. I thought I remembered you saying somewhere else that this action required a gx device. Is that true or is there some other method of synchronizing these MP and Smart Shunt's SOC? Thank you in advance!
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ mcdees84 commented ·

@Mcdees84

How is the MP supposed to know the SOC from the SmartShunt without any communication between them?

A GX device collects all data from all connected devices and shares the information between them.

So yes, you need a GX device (Raspberry Pi with Venus OS).

0 Likes 0 ·
mcdees84 avatar image mcdees84 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Thank you! I just didn't know if the V.E.Connect would allow that info to pass to the MP or if a V.E.Smart Network had been/was being created to do this to allow such communication. It makes sense to me that if my MPPTs talk with my Smart Shunt via V.E.Smart Network, that the MP should be able to as well. But I guess not.
0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler mcdees84 commented ·
Does your MP have bluetooth and is in the VE.Smart network?

No.

0 Likes 0 ·
mcdees84 avatar image mcdees84 snoobler commented ·
I have the V.E. Smart Dongle - which allows some level of bluetooth with the MP - but I'm guessing not at the level needed for this application based on your answers.
0 Likes 0 ·
diegotam avatar image
diegotam answered ·

Thank you guys!!

Yes the settings on Venus OS are all correct. It was strange because I had to insert the Ah of the battery.. I tried to enable the battery monitor on Ve.config and now I have readings!

venus.png

I tried to interrogate the Ve.bus in nodered and I'm getting data on there as well.

The only thing is that the numbers are a little off. Maybe for the rounding algorithm that may use the multiplus?

soc.png

soc1.png

On the top the Smart shunt and the bottom the multiplus.

venus.png (93.6 KiB)
soc1.png (42.2 KiB)
soc.png (37.4 KiB)
2 |3000